VM Explorer Practitioner Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it just me, or is this lame?

Occasional Visitor

Is it just me, or is this lame?

[ Edited ]

I've worked with many different vendors when "testing" their software before a possible purchase.  And I've always been very happy about the fact that the vendors are smart enough to know that if they take the time to support a possible future customer during the "trial process", they increase their chances of "making the sale".

We currently use Altaro Backup for all of our VMs, but I've heard good things about VM Explorer, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I installed it and activated the trial license, and started my first test backup.  I noticed that the backup is not going to the target I specified, so I contacted HP technical support via live chat.  After I asked my question, the support rep told me "I'm sorry, this is not technical support, and you're using a trial license of our software, so we can't provide you with support.  You'll need to go to the following linK" (which of course led me here).

This, at least in my opinion, is a really crappy business move.  Not to mention, when I get to the forum and I see loads of questions relating to what appears to be "unresolved issues" that other "users" like myself are experiencing, it squashes my motivation and confidence in HP even more.  Not to mention the fact that I see questions that were posted weeks ago with no reply!

HP should be willing to take the time to support possible future customers, rather than gathering them all into a community-based forum where we all rely on each other to hopefully figure out whether their software can do what we need it to do.

3 REPLIES
Occasional Contributor

Re: Is it just me, or is this lame?

[ Edited ]

I couldn't agree with you more. I have two un-answered posts.

I like the software for it's simplicity, and my feeling is that I would really not have the need to contact their technical support. 

That aside, yes, your feelings are felt by me as well.

Hopefully they'll improve on this, as I understand they just purchased this software earlier this year. 

HPE Expert

[ Edited ]

Could you please let me know from what region (Americas, EMEA, APJ) you are?
I would like to connect you to my colleague from the pre-sales team.

Occasional Visitor

Hi Michael,

I apologize for not updating this thread.  I ended up speaking with Craig Lynch and Stephen Aldous about everything.

Thank you so much for following up though, I appreciate it!

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event