VM Explorer Practitioner Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Not backing up VM's

Frequent Advisor

Not backing up VM's

I've been backing up our production ESXi 5.0 cluster with VM Explorer for a couple of years now, upgrading as necessary, and never really had any major issues. We recently had a planned power down of our datacenter, which went ok, and everything came back online. We actually managed to keep the ESXi cluster and associated SAN online, but for some strange reason, out of about 70 VM's we backup, two have decided that they no longer want to. Specifically, these two VM's both report the following error;

Failed: Cannot examine files of vm1: Cannot download vm1.vmx (VMXLib.Logic.Browser.ESX3iBrowser: File [store0] vm1/vm1.vmx could not be downloaded)

The VM's are running ok. I've tried rebooting them, then removing and re-adding them to the scheduled task, but it doesn't make any difference. The vmx files referenced and ok from what I can tell, and It's always the same two VM's, and it only started happening AFTER the power down. VM Explorer is currently v6.2.001, but the problem was still there with the previous version I was running.

3 REPLIES

Re: Not backing up VM's

Hello Tony,

The said error message looks more related to VMware as download of .vmx file is failing. Try using the vCenter Client and try manually downloading the problematic VM's .vmx file from the datastore.

Ref: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1019286

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sandeep

Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried manually downloading the .vmx files from the ESXi cluster using VIClient/Datastore Browser, and they both downloaded fine. No problem at all, and nothing releated to the link you posted.

Backups still failing, just for these two VM's.

-Tony

Hello Tony,

Help us with the logs to check further. In the Web Interface, go to "admin" -> "Settings" -> "Support" and click to "Generate New Debug Report". Download the zip file and upload the logs along with the failed task report. If you have an active contract with HPE, you can log a support case.

Regards,

Sandeep

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event