VM Explorer Practitioner Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring a backup with a new VM Explorer installation

Occasional Visitor

Restoring a backup with a new VM Explorer installation

Hi

I have a server (SBS2011) which has been infected by a cryptolocker virus and i want to restore it.

I made incremental backups on a NAS with VM Explorer which was installed on my SBS2011. Because the SBS2011 has been infected, I have problems restoring the Incremental backup from my NAS to my ESX using the VM Explorer on the SBS2011

Restore error. Upload error: Error reading buffer file: (READ) ReadDeltaFileBytes ex: The specified network name is no longer avilable.

I have installed a new installation of VM Explorer on a new computer to try and restore it from there! But there are no backups available off course because it's a new installation... Is it possible to link all the backups from my NAS to the new installation of VM Explorer so I can restore it from my new management computer?

Thanks in advnace

Reindert

2 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: Restoring a backup with a new VM Explorer installation

Hello Reindert,

there is no way to get the old backups back into the "Backup Explorer" because you have lost the files in C:\ProgramData\Trilead\VMX\RE. Or do you have a copy of them?

However, you can use the "File Explorer" and browse to the backup directory on the NAS and look for the vmxbackup.xml file.
Right click to it and select "Restore Backup". This will initiate the same procedure as if you would do a restore from "Backup Explorer". Attached file will give you an idea.

I hope that the question has been understood correctly.
In case you need deeper assistance in that matter, it is recommended to open a support case, so that we can take a closer look at the issue.

Best regards,

Michael

Occasional Visitor

Re: Restoring a backup with a new VM Explorer installation

Hi

Thanks for the reply! I DO have a copy of "C:\ProgramData\Trilead\VMX\RE". I will try to test this as soon as possible and will let you know here.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event