New Discussion юеВ

Re: Booting from ignite itanium vpars with a dhcp server in the same segment

SOLVED
Go to solution
likid0
Honored Contributor

Booting from ignite itanium vpars with a dhcp server in the same segment

Hy people.

I have vpars 11.23 on a itanium server, and on the same network segment as the ignite server we have a dhcp server.

So when I do a vparboot -p box1 -I

and i get to select the lan, it allways goes to the windows dhcpserver.

Is there another option than changing the vlan to another network segment or using a boot dvd ??

thnx
Windows?, no thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

A DHCP server usually assumes it has total control of the range of the IP addresses it has been given.

Getting two DHCP servers to co-operate in a single network segment is generally *very tricky* and requires special configuration in both DHCP servers. Basically, each DHCP server must recognize their "own" clients by MAC addresses (or by any other information available in the DHCP request) and completely ignore the clients belonging to the other server. Not all DHCP servers can do this.

Instead of trying to overcome the Highlander-like attitude ("There can be only one!!!") of the DHCP servers, you might want to review the configurations of both DHCP servers, and duplicate the necessary configuration so that one DHCP server can handle both Windows and HP-UX clients. Of course, you may have to give up the integration features of one side and substitute them with some manual work.

For example: read the /etc/bootptab created by Ignite, and create similar settings in the Windows DHCP server for the HP-UX clients. Of course the configuration style of a Windows DHCP server is very different from HP-UX bootptab, so some "translation" is necessary. Repeat whenever you add new Ignite clients.

(Of course it would be nicer to use the HP-UX DHCP service to handle both Windows and HP-UX machines, but that may require giving up some Active Directory integration features, so the Windows admins may not like it.)

MK
MK
likid0
Honored Contributor

Yep, I understand, but I have no access to the windows DHCP server, and as you say there is no way there are going to let me, have the dhcp server on a hp-ux box.Because of the dhcp,dynamic dnd,AD is all on windows.
Windows?, no thanks
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

I believe you only need an IP long enough to get the Ignite installer up. After that you can change the IP in the system tab.

Would that work for you ?

Otherwise maybe configure your inst_boottab to only serve IPs for specific MACS ? and use vparboot -p box1 -I Ignite_server,/opt/ignite/boot/Rel_B.11.XX/WINSTALL

likid0
Honored Contributor

I understand Tim but the "vparboot -p box1 -I Ignite_server,/opt/ignite/boot/Rel_B.11.XX/WINSTALL" command only worked with pa-risc, with itanium this option doesn't exist.

So the windows dhcp always gives the IP to the vpar, and it fails to boot from ignite.

I think th only thing i can do is change temporarly the ignite server and the vpar to another vlan, but i was triying to find another way.
Windows?, no thanks

Can you not use a dbprofile?

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-3336/ch07s06.html

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo