Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning non-vpar server to vpar

SOLVED
Go to solution
Occasional Contributor

Cloning non-vpar server to vpar

I haven't figured out yet how to do this, if it can be done. I've got an rp3440 running HP-UX 11.23 and I'd like to migrate it to a vpar on an rp7420. I've tried going both the vparboot route and the Ignite-UX route and I can't seem to get either to work.

I was able to create an 11.23 vpar using vparboot from a depot on the first vpar of the rp7420. That first vpar is also an Ignite-UX server. I tried to use it to recover the rp3440 client to the second vpar, but I can't get that to start. The vpar software is A.04.03. Is there a way to clone a non-vpar server image to a vpar?
2 REPLIES 2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Cloning non-vpar server to vpar

well your first problem is you need the Vpar software on the image to be able to install it as a Vpar.
Second problem is Vpar is not supported on the rp3440, so you cannot install it on to the rp3440.
You would have to use IOgnite to create the image, halt the rp7420 Npar and boot to the Ignite tape, then do a recovery/install to the disc you wish to have as the boot disc for the second Vpar, and then install the Vpar software onto that OS image after rebooting back into Npar mode to the NEW disc for the 2nd Vpar.

Very convoluted.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cloning non-vpar server to vpar

Thanks, Melvyn. That confirms what I'd suspected. I was hoping there was a way to install the vpar software during the recover. The way you describe does sound a little too convoluted. I don't think a perfect clone is really necessary. Thanks again.