1753484 Members
4163 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP IVM:gio: Error configuring root device using EFI hw paths

Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

HP IVM:gio: Error configuring root device using EFI hw paths

I have a VM freshly installed with 11iv2 Dec 07 release , but the VM fails to boot after the installation. It crashes after throwing this error "gio: Error configuring root device using EFI hw paths". As per the old IVM release notes (http://docs.hp.com/en/T2767-90005/T2767-90005.pdf), this is a known problem if the configuration is as mentioned there. But its not the case here.

These are the devices attached to this VM

[Storage Interface Details]
Guest Physical
Device Adaptor Bus Dev Ftn Tgt Lun Storage Device
======= ========== === === === === === ========= =========================
disk scsi 0 0 0 0 0 lv /dev/vmvg/rvm1

[Network Interface Details]
Interface Adaptor Name/Num PortNum Bus Dev Ftn Mac Address
========= ========== ========== ======= === === === =================
vswitch lan switch2 1 0 1 0 56-2d-17-fd-5c-d4

Any ides why is this error ?
Be Always Joy ......
5 REPLIES 5
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonjour,

Should we understand that you are working with HPVM 1.20 ? No ?

Have you the same symptom if you don't let the VM Guest booting automatically ? I mean did you try to boot from EFI shell :

- FS0:
- EFI/HPUX/hpux

Eric
Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

Eric, My IVM version is A.03.00 , and the problem exists even if i boot from EFI shell by loading hpux.
Be Always Joy ......
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonjour,

Back after this storm they named Klaus ... chimney fire and candles.

Well, I have never seen your error before. Just a doubt about your initial post : does the hpvmstatus output reflect the exact configuration of your VM ? I mean, is it possible that you have modified the adaptater type of the virtual disk from scsi to avio_stor after installing the VM?

It the problem is not there, I would :

- 1st try to boot in maintenance mode, export vg00, ioscan, insf -e, import vg00, activate vg00, mountall, lvlnboot -R, setboot -p PathOfvg00Disk, cp /etc/ioconfig /stand/ioconfig ...

- If this not enough to solve the problem, I would try to modify virtual bus number. I don't see why swapping disks from a given bus/device to another one would solve the problem, but you can try ...

My scheme is to group lan devices on virtual bus 0 then adapt device number for each virtual lan. I group disk devices on bus/device 1/0 and I adapt target ID for each virtual disk. Sometimes I add an other virtual bus/device, like 2/0, to achieve better performances

Of course if you modify virtual adressing of the system disk, you will have to boot in maintenance and re-import vg00 as previously described.

To add a virtual lan on bus 0 device 0:

hpvmmodify -P YourVM -a network:lan:0,0:vswitch:switch2

To add system disk on bus 1 device 0 target 0 :

hpvmmodify -P YourVM -a disk:scsi:1,0,0:lv:/dev/vmvg/rvm1

Eric
Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

Hi Eric,
The problem got resolved after I added the package "scsiU320-00" to the package list in the ignite server, previously it was having only the base packages which are required for a minimum install. I dont know how does that relate to this problem. To confirm that its the correct issue, I have removed the package from the installation list and the same problem repeated.
Be Always Joy ......
Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

Closing the thread ....
Be Always Joy ......