108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP UX 10.20 or 10.30 virtualization

SOLVED
Go to solution
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Virtualization on Itanium hardware simulates Itanium hardware.

On "classic" Intel hardware this might be easier to emulate older Intel hardware.

But the capability of Itaniums to "emulate" RISC hardware is somehow limited.

All hp-ux versions from the beginning up to 11.11 is PA-RISC only. Applications may run on Itaniums, but not the core OS.

All 10.x versions are gone around y2k. All hardware after this date cannot run 10.x.

You can only try to run your applications with ARIES or continue to use old hardware.

BTW, 10.30 was something special anyway.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

If you want to go forward, you will have to validate the application on HP-UX 11i (preferable v3) PA-RISC anyway. You need to be sure that it still runs on a native PA-RISC platform with a newer OS.
It should, because HP guarantees binary compatibility.

When you are sure it runs HP-UX 11i v3 PA_RISC, you can start running it on Itanium with ARIES. If you ten get issues, you know it is an ARIES issue, or a missing PA-RISC library, not an OS version incompatibility. I tried such a setup myself and it goes fine and automatically. Just strat the executable, the OS detects it is PA-RISC code and launches ARIES. (By the way, the base java executable on Itanium is also still PA-RISC code, but only few people have noticed it). You only have to take care that if your application uses other PA-RISC applications (like an Oracle client for instance), you will need to have the Oracle PA-RISC client available on your Itanium machine also.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Wim: the base java executable on Integrity is also still PA-RISC code,

This driver quickly gets out of the way when it execs the real one.
Laurent Menase
Honored Contributor

about Oracle, if you uses proC or things like that, it is not that easy to make it work under aries because you need to make a pa risk build env on your itanium system.
also if you uses old libs which where obsoleting in 10.20, the result may be that it could not run under ARIES.
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Laurent, that is exactly the reason why it is necessary to confirm that the software runs on HP-UX 11i v3 PA-RISC. If it doesn't run there, you don't even have to dream about running it under Itanium/ARIES.

So, in fact, looking at the original question : No need to talk about Itanium. It's overkill.

Your current hardware is very likely not supported under HP-UX 11i v3, so you need new (PA-RISC) hardware anyway if you want to look into an upgrade path.
Although HP has stopped selling new PA-RISC machines, there are plenty remarketed systems, with a TCO that could be a lot ower than what you pay (if you pay) for support on your current machine.
And if you get it running on HP-IX 11i v3 PA-RISC, then why spend more mony to attempt to get it on Itanium ?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Wim: confirm that the software runs on HP-UX 11i v3 PA-RISC.

I don't think you need to go all the way to 11.31, 11.23 should be fine and possibly 11.11?

>And if you get it running on HP-UX 11i v3 PA-RISC, then why spend more money to attempt to get it on Integrity?

Because Integrity is likely faster and you can do virtualization as in ml's original question.
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Dennis,

Why choose HP-UX 11.31 ? Because 11.23 is already nearing end-of-life, so if you want to be safe for a while and use the latest technologie : go for HP-UW 11.31
Certainly not 11.11, because there is no Itanium equivalent for it.

And yes, and Itanium system will be faster, but so what ? It will cost you an extra server, while your latest PA-RISC system is already 10 times as fast as that old server back in the days of 10.20
ml_6
Advisor

Thank you guys.
So ARIES is a way to support our old applications.
Can use it in VSE itanium environment ?

As far as I understood, I should test the app on a recent RISC HP-UX version before trying to use Aries isn't it ?
Which one ? On which server ?

Thanks

ML
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

What server(s) do you currently have : Type and number of CPUs and amount of memory ?

As for the HP-UX version to use, I would go to the latest, since it may spare you another upgrade within a couple of years, and it has the most and best virtualization features once you switch to Itanium.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Wim: Why choose HP-UX 11.31? ... use the latest technology: go for HP-UX 11.31

You were suggesting to go to 11.31 to go to Integrity.

>Itanium system will be faster, but so what?

Now you seem to be saying don't go to Integrity. My point was to get them to Integrity ASAP.