New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPVM Guest graceful shutdown and ServiceGuard

SOLVED
Go to solution
maslo64
Advisor

HPVM Guest graceful shutdown and ServiceGuard

Hi all,
I'd like to know if and how it's possible to shutdown gracefully hpvm guest machines which are inside ServiceGuard package.

Thanks for any hint
7 REPLIES 7
g3jza
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ladislav,

Ordinary shutdown from Guest VM will look like a package failure to Serviceguard. If you plan to shutdown the guest for maintenance, disable AUTORUN first.
cmmodpkg ├в d ; shutdown ├в hy 0 (from VM Guest!)
cmhaltpkg will issue ├п   hpvmstop ├в P
Do not manually issue hpvmstop ! !
g3jza
Esteemed Contributor

cmmodpkg -d ; shutdown -hy 0 (from guest)

cmhaltpkg will issue -> hpvmstop -P , so don't do this.
No├й
Valued Contributor
Solution

I have the same issue in some clusters and i have solved as follow:

In the conf file (in the server machine, not in the hpvm) of the package, in the "#external_script", i have configured a script (e.g:
external_script /etc/cmcluster//)

In this script i have configured a shutdown of the hpvm (with a ssh from the server) and a "sleep 120" when the package stops.

If you want to do this, after modifying the files, you have to stop the cluster, and recompile the package, and start the package.

Let me know if you have questions.

Regards.

Noe.

Vivek_Pendse
Valued Contributor

1. Shutdown the Guest.
2. Stop the package. cmhaltpkg -v
3. Stop the cluster. cmhaltcl -f

Thanks,
Vivek
maslo64
Advisor

Hi Noe,
This looks like an option , but not for me, Host and Guests are in different VLANs so cannot SSH between them.

Anyway, after closer look on SG packaging mechanism looks that package integration really issue 'hpvmstop -F -g -P VMGuest' which should do graceful shutdown of VMGuest , but after testing VMGuest also from console 'cm > pc > g' VMGuest just stop after flush to disks, no rc.d scripts are running.
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonsoir,

For the moment there is no native graceful shutdown.

I asked HP about that and suggested to have and old feature activated in the VM when you use hpvmstop with "-g" option : powerfail (man 1m init).

Here is the answer of the support :

---------------------------------
I've just logged ER QXCR1001087135 against HPUX kernel to pass the powerfail to init(1M).
For now, the hpvmstop -g (aka powerfail handling on HPUX guest) behaves the way I described and it's by design.
(The powerfail code we have in HPUX is really a leftover from very early days when considerations were to have system memory non-volatile). Now with HPVM it starts to have meaning again.
I'm trying to convince people that it would make sense to connect the ropes together again, but it could take some time. Customer should not really rely on any timeframe for outcome of the discussions.
I'll be thus proposing solution to the case pointing to the ER.
---------------------------------

For the moment I have no more news.

One workaround is to shutdown the VM trough ssh. I don't understand why you can't ssh between host and guest, even if they are not in the same subnet. No route between them ?

Eric

maslo64
Advisor

Hello Eric,
use powerfail is indeed good idea to shutdown VMGuest gracefully.

All connections are blocked on firewall between Host and Guest so cannot SSH between them.

Thanks a lot for info,
Ladislav