Operating System - HP-UX
1753922 Members
7748 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Implementing vPars and Integrity VM v6.1 in BL870c i2 running HPUX BOE March 2012 release update

Joesel
Occasional Contributor

Implementing vPars and Integrity VM v6.1 in BL870c i2 running HPUX BOE March 2012 release update

Hi,

We are in the process of implementing vPars using HPUX  vPars and Integrity VM version 6.1 running HPUX BOE March 2012 in BL870c i2 server.

The system has a total of 16 cores and 64GB memory. Our goal is to create 3 vPars with the following set-up:

>>  6cores for vPar1, 6 cores for vPar2, 3 cores for vPar3, 1 core will be use by the VSP = 16 cores

>>  16GB for vPar1, 32GB for vPar2, 16GB for vPar3 = 64GB memory

We have created 3 vPars with the above cores but we encountered a memory "shortage" while allocating memory to each vPar. I know that VSP and vPars have memory overhead which will reduce your total memory capacity by more or less 8%. (referring to HP-UX vPars and Integrity VM v6.1 Administrator Guide). But unfortunately, when checking the memory in the vPar/VM memory pool the available size is only 25GB out of 64GB. So about 40% of physical memory is available only for the vPars and the rest is consume by the VSP which I think is not normal.

See below output, only 25GB memory is available in vPar/VM pool out of 65GB physical memory.  In below details, LDOM# 0 and 2 are available in “System Memory Sizes” giving you a total of 65GB memory but under “ vPar/VM memory pool sizes” only LDOM# 0 with 25GB size is available. The system does not make LDOM#2 memory available to the vPar/VM memory pool or it's missing.

Capture.JPG

Has anybody already implemented this kind of set-up without issues on memory usage consumed by VSP? Why the virtualization software is consuming so much more memory than the documentation states?

I know this is a new release but I am posting hoping anybody have already done a set-up like this without facing memory issues.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Vas

Re: Implementing vPars and Integrity VM v6.1 in BL870c i2 running HPUX BOE March 2012 release update

Check the kernel parameters filecache_max  and   filecache_min and change them to 1% if they are at their default values.

Also check the  base_pagesize parameter and changing it to 64 from default 4 will make more RAM available to the system.