4021 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

License needed for installing IVM software on Rx 3600

prajbor
Occasional Advisor

License needed for installing IVM software on Rx 3600

Hi All,

Really quick I wanted to know if any licenses are needed to install IVM software on HP UX 11.3i version. I heard that IVM is freely available for HP 11.2 but not for 11.3. Is that info right?

If yes any link where i would get to know more on the license as to where I can buy it from and the costing issues.
13 REPLIES 13
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Re: License needed for installing IVM software on Rx 3600

No. Integrity Virtual Machines is purchaseable software, no matter what the VM Host OS version is.
There is a 90 day trial version that yopu can download from software.hp.com
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
prajbor
Occasional Advisor

ok great.
I have been hearing something called HPVM and IBM IVM. In your reply what were you talking about? HPVM or IBM IVM.

Also are both HPVM and IBM IVM licensed.

all,

from where can i buy ththe license for the software. I want to know the costing stuffs.
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

If I can add a comment to Melvyn's post, HPVM does come "free" as in bundled-in, if you purchase the Virtual Server OE or Data Center OE licence of HP-UX 11iv3. If you already have an 11iv2 Enterprise OE licence along with a software contract, you're entitled to a free update to the VSOE when upgrading to 11iv3.

Good luck
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

As this is an HP-UX forum, why would I discuss an IBM product?

HP Integrity Virtual Machines is a licenseble product, on either 11iv2 or 11iv3. The only difference is if you buy VSE-OE or DC-OE for 11.31, that INCLUDES your license for Integrity Virtual Machines
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
prajbor
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot..

Actually i am not able to find out if my server has virtualization support. Its hpux rx3600. The CDs mention Base Operating System.

Now what would be the best was to find out if I have virtualization support or not.The server was handed over to me and asked to virtualize...
Also where would I get to download / buy the license support.
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

If you have the Base Operating system, you don't have a licence to run HPVM. You'll need to either purchase a licence or upgrade to the VSOE. You don't find these at your local Best Buy; you'll have to talk to an HP Rep.

There is a 90 day evaluation available here:
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=integrity_vm41

Olivier
prajbor
Occasional Advisor

Thats a good piece of info .Thanks

I tried out few things to find out whats configured on my machine.

Running below commands:
# swlist | grep -i oe
HP-Caliper-PERF C.11.31.04 HP Caliper OE Bundle
HP-WDB-DEBUGGER C.11.31.04 HP DEBUGGER OE Bundle
HPUX11i-BOE B.11.31.0903 HP-UX Base Operating Environment

Now this means I have March09 version of HPUX 11.3i verison. And afaik hpux 11.3i March 09 onwards has support for virtualization. But at the same time it shows as Base OE version. So u mean since its Base OE it wont have IVM support inbuilt rite?

Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Right.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Correct. BASE-OE does not give you HP IVM