Operating System - HP-UX
1753726 Members
4523 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

MAC address for switch localnet is in use. hpvmstart: Unable to continue.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cresswell Williams
Frequent Advisor

MAC address for switch localnet is in use. hpvmstart: Unable to continue.

Hi Guys

I have a new installation with HP-UX 11iv3 but as soon as I connect an Integrity VM to a switch and try to boot it up, it gives me the following error:

Error 1 on item localnet: MAC address for switch localnet is in use. hpvmstart: Unable to continue.

I have added the respective Lan ports to APA Lan 900,901,902 and configure each vswitch to each APA, but no luck. Its a BL870c i4 connected with FlexFaric modules.

Any suggestions?

thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > System Administration to HP-UX > virtualization - Hp Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
Cresswell Williams
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: MAC address for switch localnet is in use. hpvmstart: Unable to continue.

Fixed it!

If hpvmstart also fails, please follow our below suggestion,

The Cisco router for c-Class Blade systems has a protocol error that causes it to respond to every MAC address. MAC addresses are supposed to be unique.

HPVM tries to verify that the generated guest virtual MAC address is unique, and if one of these bad routers is on your network, the HPVM check will fail.

If this situation occurs, the HPVM check for MAC address uniqueness can be disabled for V2.0 guests only by adding the following line to the /etc/rc.config.d/hpvmconf file:

HPVMMACADDRFRAMES=0

Cisco released a fix for Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3020 in December 2006. It is available from the Cisco CCO site (needs login), or from http://www.hp.com  (select Software & Driver downloads, search for switch cisco 3020 ).