108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Re:// Boot Process for VPAR

sandilyan
Advisor

Re:// Boot Process for VPAR

Hi All,

Kindly help me.

what is the boot process for Vpar ? what is different between normal hpux boot process and VPAR boot process ?

Thanks
Sandilyan S
3 REPLIES 3
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Well a vpar has to have the vpar software installed in the OS, but the main difference is when the nPAR/system boots.
For normal HP-UX the AUTOBOOT string is set to:
boot vmunix (Integrity server)
but for Vpars, the vpmon has to be started first, and then the vpmon boots the individual vpars based on whether they are set to autoboot in the vpars database (/stand/vpdb)
The usual string for this is:
boot vpmon -a

This starts the vpmon process running, and then it reads the vpdb, and starts/boots each vpar that is set to autoboot, calling thekernel file that is also kept in the vpdb (/stand/vmunix usually)

All described in the manuals for Vpars
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The intro chapter of the manual will give you a clue.

Since the OS is running on real hardware, there are not so much differences, most are very deep inside ...

Let's have a look at a system cols start.

After power on, the system will do a self check and enter the boot menu. It reads the settings from the NVRAM and is starting the VPmon. From there the settings are read from the vpdb. If AUTOSTART is configured, the kernel will boot and claimes the assigned hardware. During this, the kernel will be located in a certain location within the memory. After this, the system boots just like a nPar, more or less.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
sandilyan
Advisor

Hi all,

Thank you for your reply.

Thanks
Sandilyan S