New Discussion

Re: SAN Migration on HP-IVM

SOLVED
Go to solution
karthikbalu
Advisor

SAN Migration on HP-IVM

Guys,

I would like to know the procedure for SAN migration on HP-IVM. 

I have atleast 5 vm's created on 5 different Storage luns.

Please let me know how those VM's can be migrated with the newly assigned luns.

Thanks & Regards,

Karthik Balu.

6 REPLIES 6
Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

Are the VMs using the older storage as their boot disks?  In other words, are you trying to migrate the VM's boot disks from older storage to newer storage?  If that is the case, my suggestion would be to present a LUN from the new SAN to each VM and then use DRD to clone the boot disk to the new LUN.  Once that's done, use setboot to change the primary boot path to the newly cloned LUN and reboot the VM.  Once the VM boots to the new LUN you unpresent the old LUN and you're done.

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>Once that's done, use setboot to change the primary boot path to the newly cloned LUN and reboot the VM.

Or just use 'drd activate' and it will reset the primary boot path appropritately.  Then you can reboot.

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

I did not know that.  Oh DRD, is there nothing you can't do?

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
karthikbalu
Advisor

Thank you so much Dave & Patrick. Will follow this option..!

karthikbalu
Advisor

Dave & Patrick,..if the san copy was done and assigned to the server? then i just need to add the disk on vm and make it as boot disk?

or suppose any other action requires?

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

To review, you have 5 VMs that you want to have boot from a new SAN.  Let's assume all 5 VMs are running on a single VM Host or VSP.  

1) Create 5 new LUNs on new SAN

2) Present all 5 LUNs to the VSP

3) Assign one new LUN to each of the 5 VMs using hpvmmodify

4) Inside each VM use ioscan to identify the newly added LUNs

5) Inside each VM use DRD to clone the boot disk and activate the new LUN as the new boot target

6) Reboot VMs using new SAN storage

What you choose to do with the legacy boot disks is up to you.

Dave

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo