1752798 Members
5807 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ServiceGuard and HPVM

Rikki hinn Ogurlegi
Frequent Advisor

ServiceGuard and HPVM

I have a Integrity server running 11.31 and HPVM B.06.10.05.  It's got a few VM's running HP-UX 11.31 and 11.23.  Some of these vm's are getting rather critical in nature so we bought another identical machine to act as a fail over node for the VM's.

I understand I have multiple ways of setting up clustering here.  I could clone the vm's over to the new host and then set up clustering between the vm's (i.e. app clustering at the vm level) or just use ServiceGuard to keep the VM's running on either node.   This latter setup looks better to me.   I am however having problems finding exact documentation on how to set this all up.    I'm no stranger to ServiceGuard and I have a fair amount of knowledge on HPVM still there are certain things that scare me.   The VMs for example have multiple luns from two EVA systems pluged directly into them as avio storage.  Even tho the presentation from the EVA's to the VM hosts is identical, the new freshly installed system has different /dev/disk/ files for the luns compared to the original box.   Dont know if this matters or not when I VM tries to move to the new host.

So what I need here is documentation, or a cookbook even.   Docs.hp.com has been rather lame lately, it's idex is just a PDF that gets downloaded and is of little use (Linux/Firefox) so I'm hoping somebody can point me at the proper place to look and if there are any caveats I could avoid, all the better :)

Also, will I need some extra license for live migration of VM's?

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

6 REPLIES 6
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Re: ServiceGuard and HPVM

Hi Richard,

If you want to use Integrity VM in conjunction with Serviceguard, your best bet would be to use the Serviceguard Toolkit for Integrity Virtual Servers.  The latest version allows you to configure either VMs or vPars as either Serviceguard Packages or Nodes.

The details for this product are found here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodClassId=10008&contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=64255&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=5196848

A good technical paper to use as reference:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02015679/c02015679.pdf

Yes, online migration is a separately licenced feature at v6.1.5.  If you've purchased the VSE-OE or the DC-OE then this feature should be covered.  If you purchased the Base OE or the HA-OE then this would be a separately licensed product.

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>docs.hp.com has been rather lame lately,  its index is just a PDF that gets downloaded and is of little use (Linux/Firefox)

(Not this will help you but docs.hp.com no longer exists.  It's just a pointer to BSC.)

Why do you say it is of little use?  Doesn't your browser render the PDF?  Or you don't have acroread on Linux?

Rikki hinn Ogurlegi
Frequent Advisor

I don't have any use for acroread as Gnome has built in PDF support.    Firefox does as it is supposed to do when I click a PDF and that is to offer me the choice of downloading/saving it or opening in in my PDF viewer of choice.

If you ask me, a entry page like that should use something a little bit more browser friendly like, say HTML ? :)

Rikki hinn Ogurlegi
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Dave.  I'm sure that's all I'm going to need to proceed.   So the different HW paths/Device names will not be a problem?

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Matching HW paths and device names is not a requirement for online VM guest migration.

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>a entry page like that should use something a little bit more browser friendly like, say HTML ? :)

Yes, we tried to get them to keep some HTML.

But at least they created clickable PDF man pages.