New Discussion

Re: Setting up vswitches on a HP iVM Host

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

Setting up vswitches on a HP iVM Host

HP-UX Gurus:

I am setting up a new HP iVM Host Server. I have created a couple of vswitches using hpvmnet. I do see that the numbers are a bit mismatched. I want to assign the number "2" to vswitch0 (it has taken up #5 by itself). Is there a way to modify this number?

#hpvmnet
Name                  Number State   Mode      NamePPA MAC Address    IPv4 Address
===================== ====== ======= ========= ======= ============== ===============
localnet                   1 Up      Shared            N/A            N/A
vswitch0                   5 Up      Shared    lan900  0x00215a9b03e8
vswitch1                   4 Up      Shared    lan901  0x00215a9b03f0
#

P.S.This thread has been moved from Operating Systems>HP-UX>System Administration to HP-UX > virtualization

4 REPLIES 4
bubunis
Occasional Advisor

Hello Kenedy,

If you just created it and did not install any iVMs in that physical HOST, then I would prefer recreating the vSwitch is the best solution.

Delete the vSwitch:
hpvmnet -d -s 5 -F

Create the vSwitch :
hpvmnet -c -S vswitch0 -n 2
Stan_M
HPE Pro
Solution

The -n 2 doesn't change the id of the vswitch only connect it to lan2.

HPVM keeps track of the last assigned vswitch id in /var/adm/hpvm/common/hpvmnet_id and gets

the new id automatically based on that.

It's probably good idea to remove the all the vswitches above the id that you want if you decide

to play with that so that you won't hit overlapping IDs later.

I work for HPE
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

I was able to recreate the virtual switch by deleting the existing one. However, that only creates a vswitch with  the next number in queue - not with the number I want it to. Thanks for your your inputs. I really appreciate it.

-Kennedy

Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

This is exactly what I was looking for. I was able to delete my virtual switches and recreate them once again with the number that i needed.

This way I am able to maintain consistency with the 20 odd Blade Servers that are identically set up. Thanks a billion for that.

Thanks a billion for taking the time and investigating this issue. It is very much appreciated.

[Just want to let you know that I had to look for the file in /var/opt/hpvm/common (not under /var/adm/hpvm/hpvmnet)
# ll /var/opt/hpvm/common/hpvmnet_id
-rw-r-----   1 root       hpvmsys          2 Feb 19 13:23 /var/opt/hpvm/common/hpvmnet_id

Not sure if it because of the different releases that you and I are using..]