Operating System - HP-UX
1747988 Members
4601 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Terminal error: Run vparenv or vparconfig commands at at the EFI prompt to swtich to Vpars Mode

dictum9
Super Advisor

Terminal error: Run vparenv or vparconfig commands at at the EFI prompt to swtich to Vpars Mode

The machine does not boot unless I go into EFI mode. It keeps cycling. 

I tried to run these commands from the EFI and it said command not found. 

I got the machine into multiuser mode, can I run some of these commands on the fully booted machine? 

7 REPLIES 7
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Terminal error: Run vparenv or vparconfig commands at at the EFI prompt to swtich to Vpars Mode

EFI only controls booting. Since you are referring to vPar commands, have you booted the machine into vPar mode with vpmon? The usual hpux boot command won't work.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
dictum9
Super Advisor

Re: Terminal error: Run vparenv or vparconfig commands at at the EFI prompt to swtich to Vpars Mode

Yes by default, it boots with the vpmon option. And then resets.

dictum9
Super Advisor

None of the vparenv commands work at the EFI prompt - command not found.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> Yes by default, it boots with the vpmon option. And then resets.

"resets"?

Can you be more specific? Did the system crash (panic)?
Do you get the MON> prompt? 
EFI knows nothing about vPar commands. These are HP-UX commands that you can use in one of your vPars after it boots up. The MON> prompt is the interface to vpmon.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Stan_M
HPE Pro

in fact there is vparconfig(.efi) command installed in EFI partition on vpar system (if correctly installed and you are looking on the correct boot disk). The command allows switching between modes, but I would recommend to switch to the vpar mode from HPUX command vparenv (when booted into vmunix, aka from standalone mode).

As for the error - you really need to share what it tells you - but it seems you are booting npar in nPar mode into vpmon and to achieve that you need to switch to vpar mode first. Boot the npar to vmunix (not to vpmon) and switch to vpar mode from there using vparenv HPUX command.

See vPars Admin Guide.

HTH
Stan

I work for HPE
dictum9
Super Advisor

ERROR: Please use the vparenv(1M) command in HP-UX or the vparconfig(1M) command at the EFI prompt to switch to vPars mode .

Unsupported boot environment for the vPar monitor. Resetting the system!

Stan_M
HPE Pro

The "Unsupported boot environment for the vPar monitor." is the important piece. vpmon needs the system to be in vpar mode, which it clearly isn't but your AUTO file seems to be booting /stand/vpmon. So if you want to get to HPUX stop the boot at bootloader (HPUX> prompt) and "boot vmunix". If you want to be running vPars, follow the manual to set it up and switch to vpar mode from HPUX afterwards (using vparenv HPUX command)

Stan

I work for HPE