Operating System - HP-UX
1748180 Members
4210 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

UNABLE TO ADD A LUN TO A HP iVM (VIRTUAL GUEST)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

UNABLE TO ADD A LUN TO A HP iVM (VIRTUAL GUEST)

Fellow HP-UX Admins:

I am unable to add a new LUN to a iVM without Rebooting the Virtual Guest. I am sure it is possible - but not sure how it is done. I tried to add a LUN that is presented to the Host to a specific guest. It gives me a protocol alert and says that I have to reboot the virtual machine. Here is the Syntax that I used - I think I am missing something / some where. Any input from your end would be very much appreciated.

# hpvmmodify -P ivmguest -a disk:avio_stor:2,6,0:disk:/dev/rdisk/disk469
hpvmmodify: Unable to dynamically add virtual device disk:avio_stor:2,6,0:disk:/dev/rdisk/disk469 - Protocol error.
hpvmmodify: Guest needs to be restarted (using hpvmstop followed by hpvmstart) for all changes to take effect.

#

My "hpvmstatus -P ivmguest" command does not show that disk469 is assoicated with the guest. However, when I run the "hpvmstatus -P ivmguest -D", I do see it in the list of the devices. So, it definitely does tell me that I have to reboot the guest to discover the new LUN. Is there a way to force this hpvmmodify so the guest can see the newly added run without a reboot?

P.S. This thread has been moevd from HP-UX > General to virtualization - Hp forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: UNABLE TO ADD A LUN TO A HP iVM (VIRTUAL GUEST)

A couple ideas:

1)  Use NPIV as this allows you to create the virtual HBAs and then you can add/remove disks from the VM guest as you would a physical server

2)  Try issuing the command without specifying a path: 
            hpvmmodify -P ivmguest -a disk:avio_stor::disk:/dev/rdisk/disk469

Perhaps the specific path you're requesting requires the VM guest to add a virtual HBA to satisfy the request, and dynamically adding HBAs is not supported with VM guests.  By using the "::" syntax it lets the VM guest decide where to put the new disk.

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

Re: UNABLE TO ADD A LUN TO A HP iVM (VIRTUAL GUEST)

Dave: Thanks a lot for your quick reply - your solution # 2 worked just fine.