3338 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VM Host O/S OE Version

Records Management
Frequent Advisor

VM Host O/S OE Version

Here's the setup...

I have a rx2660 with Integrity VM. It has one core, and two VM guests. I have 11.23 FOE running on the host, and 11.31 EOE running on the two guests.

As I have only one core and one LTU for EOE, can I use the EOE on the host, rather than the FOE? I have read the virtualization licensing document that I found, but it really doesn't say. It talks about having to license the highest OE first, which I have done.

And, just to add to the confusion.. I'm starting the process to upgrade to IVM 4.0, which will also include bumping the VM host to 11.31. And I have copies of the new OE's, both base and virtual server. But VM software is part of the the new VSOE bundle (replaces EOE), which leads me to believe that I would use it on both the host and guests.

So to me it sounds like I would go from a host running 11.23 FOE and two guests running 11.31 EOE to everything running 11.31 VSOE.

Is this right, or am I missing something?
5 REPLIES 5

Re: VM Host O/S OE Version

As long as the system is covered by a support contract that includes software update (which I guess it does, or you wouldn't have got the DVDs for the new OE) then you have it correct.

All is explained in this letter:

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpux11i/downloads/5992-4069.pdf

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Records Management
Frequent Advisor

Yes, the old EOE is on the support contract, which is why I could get the new VSOE.

But it really doesn't answer the question that if I have the proper licensing (1 core, 1 VSOE LTU, and 1 BOE LTU), can I use the VSOE on the VM host rather than the Base OE as well as on the two guests?

melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

you can use the VS-OE on the Host, but just use teh Base-OE on the guests.
You certainly do NOT want to install such things as mirrordisk/ux, IVM etc on to your guests machines
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!

Virtualization licensing is explained in the following doc:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-1803ENW.pdf

Whilst you don't want IVM or Mirrordisk, you may want Online JFS and Glanceplus Pak, so consider installing those components.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Records Management
Frequent Advisor

Thanks all