1748136 Members
3831 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

VM stuck in EFI state

kartikay6432
Occasional Visitor

VM stuck in EFI state

I tried to extend a volume group for that I first find the disks which are not used in the LVM, then initialized the PV by pvcreate, but when I extended the Volume group I was getting an error:- vgextend: Physical Volume "/dev/disk/disk2" contains no LVM information, so after searching I restarted the VM but I am unable to continue as it is stuck in EFI state.

[Virtual Machines]
Virtual Machine Name VM # OS Type State #VCPUs #Devs #Nets Memory Rmt Host
==================== ===== ======= ========= ====== ===== ===== ======= ========
sol 7 HPUX On (OS) 1 3 1 6 GB -
dms 6 HPUX On (EFI) 1 4 1 6 GB -

Any suggestion guys

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: VM stuck in EFI state

Your question does not have very much concrete information to go on.

Which volume group were you extending? Was it the system VG (normally vg00) or another VG?

How many disks/LUNs are presented to the VM?

Are you (and your SAN administrator, if applicable) certain that none of those disks/LUNs have been accidentally presented to another system too?

If you pvcreated /dev/disk/disk2 and now the system says it has no LVM information, it might mean something else has overwritten the LVM information on that disk.In the EFI state, can the virtual firmware see the system disk? Can you attempt to boot manually and see what error messages you'll get? (The inability to boot might not be related - it might be just that the VM has been migrated on-line from one storage to another and someone has forgotten to update the boot paths after migration.)

MK