New Discussion

VSP is a must for vpar?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dialbo3
Occasional Contributor

VSP is a must for vpar?

Hi guys,

We are trying to setup a new superdome2 with multiple vpars. The SW is called vpar and integrity VM v6.1

So I guess the first step is to define the whole superdome2 as 1 npar, right? From what I read from this document:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03233037/c03233037.pdf

It seems that we have to install HPUX on VSP(the whole npar?), then from VSP define all the vpars? Does that mean all the vpars are dependant on this VSP?

David

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: VSP is a must for vpar?

First you have to decide if you want to use "classic" virtual partitions version 5.x or virtual machines version 6.x - the functionality is different.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dialbo3
Occasional Contributor

vpar, not VM. I think the software is combined into 1 called HP vpar and integrity VM V6.1

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You just create a nPar and a number of vPars within from the OA CLI. Install the OS on each vPar and add the vPars 5.x software.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

Torsten is correct.  SD2 servers support multiple types of vPars.  The two most common are v5 Firmware vPars, which are administered directly from the Onboard Administrator, and v6 vPars, which are administered via an HP-UX-based software VSP.  There are definite pros and cons for each type of vPar.  v5 vPars have certain advantages over the v6 vPars, and v6 vPars offer some features and functionality not available in the v5 vPars. 

You should carefully consider which vPar technology is better for your environment.  I have a couple slides that compare the features and functionality of v5/v6 vPars that I use when discussing this matter with customers.

If you choose to use v6 vPars then you will need to configure at least one nPar and make it the VSP.  The VSP nPar does not have to encompass the entire SD2 complex.  In other words, you could partition multiple nPars on the SD2 and only make one of the nPars a VSP and carve it up into v6 vPars while the rest of the complex remains an nPar for other uses.

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Dialbo3
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.

As a HP customer, can we have a peek on your presentation?

david

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Here are the three slides I use.  Obviously I do a lot of talking during the presentation to flesh out the concepts and ideas behind these tables so just looking at the slides may not be as helpful.

vPars Comparison - Part 1.jpg

vPars Comparison - Part 2.jpg

vPars Comparison - Part 3.jpg

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo