1752580 Members
4955 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

how to tell the storage type

biaoqi

how to tell the storage type

dear expert,

In my virtual partition hpux11.31, i could find the disk by ioscan -fnC disk. But i wanted to know what type storage was connected. The description of storage dev was HP Virtual Disk . Please help me to tell the storage device's  name such as xp1000, emc,or 3par.

6 REPLIES 6
support_s
System Recommended

Query: how to tell the storage type

System recommended content:

1. HPE Storage P9000 Continuous Access - How to Check The Current CA Device Group Type

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

biaoqi

Re: how to tell the storage type

pairdisplay -fe
sh: pairdisplay: not found.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, HPE only provides HP Virtual Disk (or similar) for any query to array LUNs. That useless ID covers many different models over more than 2 decades of disk arrays.  Each disk array family has a different set of tools for managing or viewing these arrays, and most will not run inside a virtual partition due to low level I/O requirements. And most of the array tools are not supplied with standard HP-UX.

The only solution is to look at the attached device(s), or take a picture front and back for remote systems.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
mbarnwal
HPE Pro

You would need to find the actual physical disk which is presented to vPar. You can use /opt/hpvm/bin/hpvmdevinfo on vPar or VSP to find the mapping. Once you have the name of physical disk, ioscan on the VSP for that disk should show the type of disk array used.

I am a HPE Employee

Another alternative you could consider is (if your FC HBA and FC topology support it), instead of using virtual disks, create a NPIV vHBA and then you can present actual physical LUNs straight to the vPar. See this manual here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00050738en_us

Starting at p107 in the scetion entitled "NPIV with vPars and Integrity VM"

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
JaroslawSawicki

thanks!!