New Discussion юеВ

integrity VM and getconf CS_PARTITION_IDENT

SOLVED
Go to solution
steve_b
Occasional Advisor

integrity VM and getconf CS_PARTITION_IDENT

Hi Guru's

I need to virtualize a legacy application,the application is licensed using the output from getconf CS_PARTITION_IDENT.

I can get a new application license issued for the VM which is not a problem. In the near future the VM host will be upgraded will it be neccessary to relicense the application if the VM host changes?

Is there anyway to migrate the VM and retain the same output from the getconf CS_PARTITION_IDENT command?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Stan_M
HPE Pro

Re: integrity VM and getconf CS_PARTITION_IDENT

This is the same as UUID and it's generated when VM guest is created. It's part of guest's configuration and it doesn't change when host is upgraded.

I work for HPE
steve_b
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I guess i just use hpvmmigrate to migrate the VM once the new VM host is online?

Stan_M
HPE Pro
Solution

yes

I work for HPE
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonjour,

Late answer, but it could help : in some cases you can't hpvmmigrate.

For example I am currently building a Disaster Recovery Plan between two sites. Not sure that hpvmmigrate could work if the primary site is down. But anyway, even if the primary site is still up, we have no direct network link between the 2 sites to hpvmmigrate. But we have links to synchronize data between 2 3Par array, one on each site :-)

And I have a VM guest where application is licensed the same way than yours.

In this case, I just catch the serial from the primary VM (getconf CS_PARTITION_IDENT) or from the VSP (hpvmstatus -P YourGuest -V | grep "UUID") 

Then I create the same VM on the rescue site and carefully connect synchornized SAN disks with same bus/devices/target as the VM on the primary site. Finally I assign the same UUID to the VM with hpvmmodify -P YourGuest -x guest_uuid=TheSerialPreviouslyCaught

For information, I do the same with NIC : some old applications are licensed with a MAC address. So I assign the MAC of the primary guest too. For example  : hpvmmodify -P YourGuest -m network:avio_lan:0,2,0x123456789ABC:vswitch:YourVswitch

Eric