1747990 Members
5247 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

parstatus: CIM_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

David G. Douthitt
Regular Advisor

parstatus: CIM_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

I've two systems, mainly identical rp7420s, and one has a set of nPar software that works and one doesn't. Both are running HP-UX 11i v3.

However, the server that "works" is running an apparently unpatched set of HP-UX 11i v3 nPar software (including providers and WBEM and SysFaultMgmt).

The software that doesn't is more recent than that (reinstalling from the OS disk flags it as a downgrade). The output from cimprovider -ls is much shorter than anywhere else I've tried it, including on non-partitionable servers like the rx4640 and rx6600.

parstatus doesn't work at all (gives error mentioned) and SMH ignores requests to manipulate the local nPars.

cimserver is running (as is cimservera and cimserverd); however, there are no cimprovagt processes on this nonworking server (unlike the working server, which has three cimprovagt processes).

All of this works on the other system like this one.

Here's some of the output from the server which fails to run parstatus:

# cimprovider -ls
MODULE STATUS
OperatingSystemModule OK
ComputerSystemModule OK
ProcessModule OK
IPProviderModule OK
DNSProviderModule OK
NTPProviderModule OK
NISProviderModule OK
SDProviderModule OK
IOTreeModule OK
SGProvidersModule OK
# parstatus -C
CIM_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED: THE REQUESTED OPERATION IS NOT SUPPORTED.
Note: Unable to get any HP_NParComplex information.
Error: Cannot determine if platform is partitionable.
#

I checked the forums and didn't find much of anything that helps. I plan to patch and/or downgrade this software to see if that works.

Can someone offer some more insight?
5 REPLIES 5
VK2COT
Honored Contributor

Re: parstatus: CIM_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Hello,

a) What do these commands report:

# cimconfig -g enableHttpConnection -c
# cimconfig -g enableHttpsConnection -c

b) Are ports 5988/http and 5989/https
responding?

c) CIM_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED means that cimserver
did not find an appropriate provider that is
capable of handing the request.

d) Maybe the repository is corrupt. Run this
(takes time!):

# /opt/wbem/sbin/init_repository

e) Finally, you did not specify the patch
levels of HP-UX 11.31 server? I would
go for 0803 or even 0809 (coming in next several weeks).

Cheers,

VK2COT
VK2COT - Dusan Baljevic
David G. Douthitt
Regular Advisor

The first command (checking for Http) returned false; the second (for Https) returned true.

The HTTP port 5988 does not respond; the HTTPS port 5989 does respond.

Both the working and nonworking server have the same results.

The repository re-init is going now.

The reason I didn't list a server version (which I would normally) is that there seems to be no official "version" - at least as uname -a should return (it returns B.11.31 - but that's sort of generic....)

The working server has HPUX11i-OE-MC (bundle) version B.11.31 and a BUNDLE (bundle) version of B.2008.05.01.

The nonworking (nPars anyway) server has HPUX11i-OE-MC (bundle) version B.11.31.0709 and a BUNDLE (bundle) version B.2008.05.02.
David G. Douthitt
Regular Advisor

I've finished updating the servers; now both of the rp7420s report a BUNDLE (bundle) version of B.2008.09.05.

However, nothing else has changed: the one still works and the other still fails. Messages are the same, and the repository was rebuilt.

The working server has cimprovagt processes running, and the other does not.

What can I do?
David G. Douthitt
Regular Advisor

One more interesting thing (after searching forums again): SysFaultMgmt on the working server is version C.01.00.29.01; on the nonworking server it is C.02.00.04.02.

Hmmm....
David G. Douthitt
Regular Advisor

Another thing to note: WBEMServices on the working server is version A.02.05.02.01; on the nonworking server it is A.02.05.06.