108809 Solutions
New Discussion

upgrading vpar software and OE on clients and VSP

SOLVED
Go to solution
sapoguheman
Frequent Advisor

upgrading vpar software and OE on clients and VSP

We are planning to upgrade OE , Virtualbase software and QPK patches on both clients and VSP

For clients following has to be upgraded :-

Virtualbase :-  “  VirtualBase B.06.10.05  Base Virtualization Software” to “VirtualBase B.06.30  Base Virtualization Software”
          DC-OE :-   “HPUX11i-DC-OE   B.11.31.1209   HP-UX Data Center Operating Environment” to  “HPUX11i-DC-OE    B.11.31.1403   HP-UX Data Center Operating Environment”

On VSP : -

Bundle :-     “BB068AA    B.06.20  HP-UX vPars & Integrity VM v6”  to “BB068AA   B.06.30    HP-UX vPars & Integrity VM v6”

Virtualbase: - “VirtualBase B.06.20 Base Virtualization Software”  to  “ VirtualBase    B.06.30  Base Virtualization Software”

VSE-OE : -  “HPUX11i-VSE-OE    B.11.31.1303   HP-UX Virtual Server Operating Environment” to   “HPUX11i-VSE-OE      B.11.31.1403   HP-UX Virtual Server Operating Environment”

On clients and Host : - QPK patches of  September 2014

You have the whole scenario now with the differences between client and host specially the virtualbase  software on clients.

We are not upgrading clients and VSP same day hence will there be any impact on clients may be for any reason or any dependency issue which could arise.

Someone Please let me know how to plan to this upgrades.

3 REPLIES 3
Ruel Alojado
Advisor

Re: upgrading vpar software and OE on clients and VSP

I will share to you what I have done on our servers.  It's not an upgrade but migration.

Scenario:  Migration NPAR/Vpar servers to Intergrity VPAR:

VSP:  HPUX 11.31 DC-OE 1503

Guest Servers:  Integrity Vpar (BOOT from SAN OS)

Note:  Cannot upgrade directly to 1503 as the QPK.1503 is not tested in our application.  DC-OE required is only 1403. But need to upgrade the AVIO drivers to 1503.

Source Server: NPAR/Vpar running HPUX11.31 DC-OE.1103

We perform the following steps on Guest Server.

1.  Perform DRD clone of the Source Server. check on how to perform OS DRD Clone.

2.  From the DRD, we perform the upgrade of the DC-OE:  drd runcmd update-ux -s "/path of the 1403 Operating System"

Note that sometimes to update the Operating Environment it requires some Kernel Patch before you can run the update-ux".  You can perform the patch installation in DRD Image  also by : drd runcmd swinstall -s "/path of the depot file of the kernel patch"

3.  You can verfiy the Update of the DC-OE using DRD runcmd swlist.

During our migration, we simply dismount all the Data VG's, present the Disks from Source Server to the new server running the upgraded OS with Temporary IP.  Import the VG and mount FS. Set the Hostname and IP using the source server hostname and IP and reboot the server. Then start the application/db.

In your case (Assuming you are using Integrity Vpar boot From SAN),  you can perform DRD boot alternate.  It will reboot your machine on the New OS without compromising the original OS.  The boot process will take sometime as it will update all OS during bootup.

You can perform the same procedure as for your VSP.

If you are using EMC Vmax Storage and using Powerpath as multipath software in the Guest server, you will have a performance issue.  EMC powerpath is currently not supported in Vpar 6.3.  If your Storage is EMC VNX, i did not find any performance issue.  Only in VMAX.  The solution is to use the Native Multipathing of HPUX by uninstalling Powerpath.

If you upgrade the DC-OE to 1403, Virtual Base is part of the Upgrade.

I don't have Integrity VM running in my VSP. 

Hope this would give you an idea.

sapoguheman
Frequent Advisor

Hi ,

My Vpar is already migrated to blade but OE and Vpar software is old which has to be upgraded.

I think this would be normal upgrade only.

sapoguheman
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Upgraded the VSP first  with VS-OE and then clients with DC-OE ..