108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: virtual machine questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aaron1_1
Occasional Contributor

virtual machine questions

I have a rp8640 as a standby failover node. Our DP backup server is sharing a server with an application and the system is now getting overloaded. I would like to know if configuring a virtual machine on my rp8640 would work. The rp8640 has 2 extra nics and 4 fibre cards connected to the SAN. The virtual machine will be a Data Protector backup system for our ZDB backups. There are about 300 XP luns, ten tape drives, and robotics to move the tapes around in the ESL and MSL which all have to be accessible to the VM. Is this configuration possible on a VM or should I look to purchase a standalone server or carve out a vpar?
Aaron Morris
5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I would like to know if configuring a virtual machine on my rp8640 would work.

Only Integrity servers support HPVMs, not PA. A VPAR might be a solution.
Aaron1_1
Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry, it is a rx8640...
Aaron Morris
likid0
Honored Contributor

I think is better to use a vpar or a npar/stand alone server for that kind of buisness, I think there is no problem getting it to work on the VM but it's a mess mapping all that IO trough the vm host, it doesn't seem the best setup
Windows?, no thanks
Aaron1_1
Occasional Contributor

I'm confused about adding storage to the VM. If I have 300 devices do I have to add each one with the hpvmmodify command. Or do I add the FC cards then present the 300 disks to the FC cards?
Aaron Morris
likid0
Honored Contributor
Solution

As of version 3.5 you couldn't attach a fc card to the virtual machine.

You have to kinds of IO, shared io and attach io.

With attach IO you can directly map luns/tape drives etc to the virtual machine.

So if things haven't changed in 4.2 you have to add one bye one the disks with hpvmmodify -a etc.

take a look at:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=4146186&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport1.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc02023903%2Fc02023903.pdf
Windows?, no thanks