WAN Routing
1752800 Members
5727 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE FlexNetwork MSR1002 4 AC Router (JG875A): is dual WAN possible?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

HPE FlexNetwork MSR1002 4 AC Router (JG875A): is dual WAN possible?

Hello,

I've few questions about the HPE FlexNetwork MSR1002 4 AC Router (JG875A) related to the Dual WAN scenario (if possible):

• Is it possible to configure the MSR1002 4 AC to have a Dual WAN Gigabit Ethernet copper connectivity (regardless of the way we provide the 2nd WAN port)?
  • It seems that the MSR1002 4 AC is equpped with just one fixed RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet copper WAN port (front) plus another one WAN fixed Gigabit Ethernet SFP slot (front), see as it was described here: if the SFP Slot is equipped with, let me say, the HPE X120 1G SFP RJ45 T Transceiver (JD089B) then will it be possible to start a Dual WAN configuration or those WAN ports are mutually exclusive?
  • Is it possible to "convert" one of the 4 LAN dedicated ports to have a WAN "role"?
  • What combinations are possible when a Dual WAN with 2 Gigabit Ethernet copper ports are required on this Router?

Possible MSR1002 4 AC's (copper Gigabit Ethernet) WAN combinations it seems to permit are:

• the WAN RF45 Gigabit Ethernet copper (front).
  • the HPE X120 1G SFP RJ45 T Transceiver (JD089B) once installed on the SFP Slot on the front.
  • the HPE X120 1G SFP RJ45 T Transceiver (JD089B) once installed on the HPE FlexNetwork MSR 1 port GbE Combo SIC Module (JG738A) if equipped on the back Slot.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

Just to clarify, the purpose is to understand if the MSR1002 4 AC Router can be connected to two identical existing LTE/4G Ethernet Routers (both capable of working in NAT Mode or in Bridge Mode) on its WAN side and if it can be then configured to do a sort of Dual WAN load-balancing (or failover).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
3 REPLIES 3
Mike_ES
Valued Contributor

Re: HPE FlexNetwork MSR1002 4 AC Router (JG875A): is dual WAN possible?

@parnassus wrote:

Hello,

I've few questions about the HPE FlexNetwork MSR1002 4 AC Router (JG875A) related to the Dual WAN scenario (if possible):

• Is it possible to configure the MSR1002 4 AC to have a Dual WAN Gigabit Ethernet copper connectivity (regardless of the way we provide the 2nd WAN port)?
  • Is it possible to "convert" one of the 4 LAN dedicated ports to have a WAN "role"

Hi, I think you should connect your LTE RTRs to your fixed 4 x LAN dedicated ports LAN card on your MSR1002.

After that create two new vlans. Using this vlan numbering, last part is to add SVI L3 Interfaces on your router (Interface vlan) for your WAN connecitvity and assign IP there. Is that ok for you?

Michal

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi Michal!

Thanks for answering.

Apparently it could work but, keep in mind, I'm a total noob in this field with this type of HPE FlexNetworks MSR routers.

So you're saying I should forget the WAN Interface(s) idea and instead use two LAN interfaces to connect to LTE Routers (let me say, as example, using LAN1 and LAN2) using Switch Virtual Interfaces.

If so, then how to NAT/Route between the private LAN (let me say attached to LAN4, as example) to both LAN1 and LAN2?

Are there drawbacks in thinking that with respect to use the assigned WAN interface (and find a way to have a second one added)?

And...what's about if LAN ports can be modified to act as WAN ports? <-- I think I've read something similar in a Thread about HPE MSR931 (Comware 5.20 based) and multi-WAN.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Mike_ES
Valued Contributor

@parnassus wrote:

Hi Michal!

Thanks for answering.

Apparently it could work but, keep in mind, I'm a total noob in this field with this type of HPE FlexNetworks MSR routers.

So you're saying I should forget the WAN Interface(s) idea and instead use two LAN interfaces to connect to LTE Routers (let me say, as example, using LAN1 and LAN2) using Switch Virtual Interfaces.

If so, then how to NAT/Route between the private LAN (let me say attached to LAN4, as example) to both LAN1 and LAN2?

Are there drawbacks in thinking that with respect to use the assigned WAN interface (and find a way to have a second one added)?

And...what's about if LAN ports can be modified to act as WAN ports? <-- I think I've read something similar in a Thread about HPE MSR931 (Comware 5.20 based) and multi-WAN.

No, you cannot do conversion to "route" mode for 4-port SWI card (these are only L2 port and STP capable). This is hardware limitited. You can use Interface vlan without afraid in this case :-)

Michal