108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Help configuring HPE 2610-48 - New remote office in 1 week

fakiee
Occasional Advisor

Help configuring HPE 2610-48 - New remote office in 1 week

SWITCH = HPE 2610-48 Procurve

Hi,

I've had the good news that I have to setup a new remote office 10 minutes down the road in a week.  Its a manged service with dedicated internet line so there will be an internet line presented in the comms room.

I will have to provide a switch and the Network guys will setup a Netgate Pfsense device to manage the security/Firewall.  They will use this to establish VPN connections to our main office.

I was hoping to get some help with setting the switch up,  I guess I to have to setup the following:

• VLAN for the WAN
  • VLAN for the users
  • VLAN for switch mgmt
  • Connection to our DHCP will be via the VPN
  • For the switches in the main site we use DHCP helper

What info will I need to set this up from the managed service office (WAN Details) and to configure the switch.

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Help configuring HP 2610-48 - New remote office in 1 week

You are showing good diligence in planning...but why using a Switch series that (a) was declared EoS 8 (eight!) Years ago, (b) is mostly Fast Ethernet (10/100Mbps on 24/48 ports) only and (c) is not Layer 3 (avoiding you anything but just limitedstatic routing)?

For sure a NEW deployment deserves a better (and safer) switching choice (...and it's not a matter of using cheap equipment versus expensive one).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
fakiee
Occasional Advisor

Re: Help configuring HP 2610-48 - New remote office in 1 week

Hi,

Thanks parnassus  I just happened to have that switch in the office and that's what we use or similar for the existing office.  All of our routing is layer 2 AFAIK.

If there is a better and easier switch i can buy then please let me know?

Currently i think I will need to create a local LAN, a management LAN and a LAN for the WAN interface.  I will also need to  setup IP/DHCP scope on a DC in the main office and connect via VPN tunnels.

Thanks,
Andy