1748232 Members
3494 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1810 switch with large number of wireless clients

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

OK, if the issue is all about internet access, then the issue is probably that although the Cisco has a 100Mb interface, it in fact has a much lower bandwidth link to the internet, so the dropped pakcets are occurring on the Cisco, which you can't see.

What you need to do is to:

- find out what the internet bandwidth is that you use through the Cisco

- shape the traffic on the 1810 interface that faces the Cisco, down to no more than the available bandwidth

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

The 1810 manual doesn't say how to configure shaping.

ssmalley77
Occasional Advisor

exactly, I have also disconnected the 2620 to exclude the voice network from interfering in my results as I suspected this as being the problem prior to identifying the wifi being problematic.

At its worse we were seeing about 10% packet loss from one of the pc's

with the 2620 (phone/voice) disconnected this dropped to about 5%

with wifi disconnected its 0%

We now have the 2620 reconnected with wifi disconnected and still 0%

connect the wifi and we're between 5-10% depending on how long you hold your breath for ;-)

I agree if it was capacity on the router's uplink then fine but the router has no reported dropped packets and the fact that the switch drops packets at the same time as the router indicates its the switch giving me greif and now noticing the uplink is going up/down makes me wonder even further.  

I can't find a cli/telnet/ssh configuration for the 1810.  Is there a backdoor to these so I can get more useful info?

ssmalley77
Occasional Advisor

According to the ISP the internet router isn't hitting capacity tho - it is a 20/20 fibre connection and we're only seeing maximum 2mb up and 15mb down at peak times.  

Also its CPU isn't reaching above 30% and they also state according to its logs there are no dropped packets, it seems to me that the switch is dropping the packts before it reaches the router.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

In the 1910 manual, it says you can do shaping in the GUI by going to QOS > Behaviour > setup

Maybe the 1810 has the same thing?

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Do 100 pings and copy the result here so we can see the pattern in the dropped pings.

ssmalley77
Occasional Advisor

I'll test onsite tomorrow and report back.