1752489 Members
5977 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1810G and disappearing management

J Curtis
Occasional Advisor

I don't have a fix, but it seems quite a few people have the same problem, so it is probably software.

I have disabled SNTP and so far been OK for 2 days 17 hours. But it took slightly longer before it fell over anyway.

The switch keeps on switching, just the management stops.
Drew Redman
Valued Contributor

P.1.14 and earlier contains a minor bug (buffer leak) that causes the management hang issues you are reporting.

This has been addressed in site-specific release P.1.15 (will not be posted on procurve.com). A general release will follow in the near future, however if you would like to obtain P.1.15, you will need to contact ProCurve support, as I cannot post the file here.

Phone number is 866-697-7628 if you are in the US/Canada.
J Curtis
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the update, I'll keep an eye out for the update.

Note that the RSS feed for software updates seems to have stopped at last August, so if they could be tweaked too, it would be handy.

IIs the file up on the ftp site yet? I know from old the ftp could would lead the website by quite a time.
J Curtis
Occasional Advisor

I obtained P.1.15 via support and this did resolve the management dropping out.
Ben Gilmore

I was having the same problem with the two Procurve 1810G (24 Port) switches that we have. With the help of Drew's post I was able to call HP and get the 1.15 Firmware. I can say that I have yet to see the management interface drop once in the last week since I applied it.

Thanks again for posting a fix.
InsightNetworksAu

Apart from management stopping do you guys have issues with the whole switch becoming static.... I've got one that wont even pass packets until you reboot it.
DSV12
Frequent Advisor

> I obtained P.1.15 via support and this did
> resolve the management dropping out.

Heh. I got P.1.16 (yes, 1.16, it's not typo) via support and this did NOT resolve the management dropping out. After ~40 hours the switch became inaccessibleis from the network. Again. Not answer on ping, not answer on SNMP requests, fully disappeared web-management. As was with all available for me previous versions of firmware: P.1.6/P.1.8/P.1.13/P.1.14.
DSW01

We got the same problem with some 1810G-24 with P1.16.
After some 24-48 hours the switches become totally unaccessable.
Even worse they stop forwarding packets.

Since the release notes of P1.17 do not mention any improvement for this issue,
it's about time for some HP people to have a look at this we think.

Anybody out there ?
S. Fresneda

We have several 24Ports and one 8Port and through all management disappears afer one,two days. And it doesn't matter which FW version. (Even P1.17) and which configuration (even with default factory settings).

IMO the SW/HW design of this series of HP switches is very poor.
The 8 Port even had to be changed completely by a new one, cause no re-animation had been possible after the last management loss.

And now one of the 24Ports hung up while updating to P1.17. Since this, no updating is now more possible afterwards. Nor active, neither backup.

I worked with many Allied Switches in the past (as well some older HP 1700 series), but never had this poor behaviour.

This 1810G Serie is not very professional. No configuration backup is possible outside.
DSW01

Nothing new here for months ?
No support from HP for months ?

We replaced it by Cisco.
Everthing running fine now. We are very disappointed :(