5521 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Can HP1950 be managed by Airwave and is it a good replacement for SG500X

sp_00n
Occasional Advisor

Can HP1950 be managed by Airwave and is it a good replacement for SG500X

Hello everyone,

we are to deploy an Aruba wireless solution for a customer. They told us they had SG300 switches (8 of them) with no PoE. We have decided to replace those switches with HPE1950. It came out that they have 2 stacks of SG500X with 10GbE stacking modules.  I am wondering, if there is really a need to replace those switches at all.

1950 seems to have:

half of the packet buffer SG500 has

IRF stacking (altough not mentioned directly); so comparable to Cisco (at least I think so)

similiar switching/forwarding performance, similiar features

liftetime warranty

and they can have a few bucks back by selling their switches along with stacking modules and getting a new solution with warranty. Are there any other important technical information that could affect such a comparison? This is question number one.

The reason the would do such a exchange is central management system.  That also leads to a question numer two. As they can not afford switches from provision line that has a full Airwave support, how will the HPE1950 line work with Airwave? What will we able to do: nothing, see switch status, backup configurations or manage the switch?

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Can HP1950 be managed by Airwave and is it a good replacement for SG500X

I chime in regarding your second question: AirWave 8.2.3 supports HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch Series.

Directly from AirWave 8.2.3 Supported Infrastructure Devices (Chapter 3):

"HPE Devices

Aruba AirWave 8.2.3 introduces monitoring support for the following HPE Aruba switches running Comware 7, including monitoring, full template configuration (without requiring a reboot) and partial template configuration:

• HPE 1950 Switch (Aruba validated and fully supported Software Version R2220P02 [*] but current software version is really part of R31 branch, R3115P03)
  • HPE 3100 Switch Series
  • HPE 3600 Switch Series
  • HPE 5120 Switch
  • HPE 5130 Switch
  • HPE 5500 Switch Series
  • HPE 7500 Switch Series
  • HPE 10500 Switch Series"

[*] I do believe this is an Aruba documentation error since, AFAIK, the HPE OfficeConnect 1950 hadn't any R22xx software version published and its first software release ever published was the R3108P02 (so R31 branch).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
sp_00n
Occasional Advisor

Re: Can HP1950 be managed by Airwave and is it a good replacement for SG500X

Thank you for your answer.

It is very helpful.