Web and Unmanaged
1748194 Members
4427 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can an HP 1910-8 JG536a provide DHCP server services..

BobMare
Occasional Visitor

Can an HP 1910-8 JG536a provide DHCP server services..

Can an 1910-8 switch provide DHCP services?  If so, will it allow MAC filtering, as in which device is able to obtain an IP address based on their MAC address?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

I fear that the HPE OfficeConnect 1910 Switch Series, no matter which software version it is running on, supports only these DHCP related features/roles:

• DHCP Client
  • DHCP Relay Agent (DHCP Relay)
  • DHCP Snooping

No DHCP Server feature/role is available.

Eventually check its User Guide and QuickSpecs but I'm pretty sure it can't act as an autonomous DHCP Server (indeed it can act as a DHCP Relay for an external existing DHCP Server)...this, clearly, means that if you can setup a DHCP Server with MAC Address binding/filtering then the Switch, once configured to relay that DHCP Server, will not filter/block traffic between DHCP Clients and the DHCP Server.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
BobMare
Occasional Visitor

Thats exactly what I thought but just didnt want to believe it.  Thanks a lot for taking the time to confirm my suspicions.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

FYI a good mid-entry level Comware 7 based Switch series which provides DHCP Server feature (along with the others DHCP related featutes already mentioned) is the HPE OfficeConnect 1950, it also supports IRF technology (Intelligent Resilient Framework) which is a really nice-to-have Virtual Stacking feature.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner