New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't find IP of my HP 1810-24G Switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
DevilBridge
Occasional Visitor

Can't find IP of my HPE 1810-24G Switch

Hello,

I have a HPE 1810-24G Switch J9803 in my network. It's working fine but I'd like to get onto his web management page.

I've conected a laptop to any port of it using the 192.168.2.10 address, but I can't ping it that way.

I've tried scanning my network in order to find the MAC address of the switch, but theresn't any equipment with the same MAC address I've found at the back of the switch.

I've reseted the switch & tried again both situations above without any chance.

I'm kind of lost now, is there a way to configure this switch?

Thx in advance for your help.

Emeric

2 REPLIES 2
Emil_G
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello Emeric,

First something you are probably aware of but wanted to make sure we don't forget. When you are attaching a laptop directly to a port of the switch and trying to reach 192.168.2.10 you have to make sure that the NIC of the laptop has a static IP address in the same subnet 192.168.2.0/24, for example 192.168.2.11. Otherwise you want be able to ping or acess the webUI.

Make sure that you are following the correct procedure for factory default reset on this switch. Here it is:

To run the factory default reset on the switch, perform these steps:
1. Using a small, thin tool with blunt ends (such as a paper clip), simultaneously press both the Reset and Clear buttons on the front of the switch.
2. Continue to press the Clear button while releasing the Reset button.
3. Release the Clear button.
The switch will then complete its self test and begin operating with its
configuration restored to the factory default settings.
After completing this procedure, there will be no password, the IP address
will be returned to the default 192.168.2.10, and all configuration settings will
be returned to factory defaults.

Maybe you can try it several times to make sure that the switch was reset.

The switch supports LLDP by default. In the LLDP packet the switch should provide information about its management IP address. So if for some reason the IP has changed, this change should be reflected in the LLDP information. If you are familiar with Wireshark, you can install it on the laptop directly connected to the switch and start a capture on the interface connected to the 1810.  Capture packets for several minutes, then stop the capture and enter the filter LLDP. All LLDP packets will be displayed. Select one packet, extend the LLDP Information and then the TLV Management Address. The actual management IP should be visible there.

There are also some free tools which can be installed on a Windows machine and used LLDP to discover directly connected devices and display information about them. Check on the internet for such tools.

Even if the WIreshark trace doesnt contain LLDP information, you can create a filter with the MAC of the switch (eth.addr==XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX) and try to figure out based on the filtered traffic if the switch is using some other address, for example ARP packets etc.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

DevilBridge
Occasional Visitor

Thx for your reply.

The laptop was well configured. Anyway, I was not doing the reset that way. I tried it and its all working fine now.

Thx a lot!