Web and Unmanaged
1748171 Members
4051 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot Connect to Web Interface ProCurve Manager (PCM) on HP ProCurve 1810G-24 Switch J9450A

chalmers
Collector

Cannot Connect to Web Interface ProCurve Manager (PCM) on HP ProCurve 1810G-24 Switch J9450A

Hi,

I cannot connect to the Web Based Interface ProCurve Manager (PCM) on my HP ProCurve 1810G-24 Switch J9450A.

Here are the steps I took so far per the manual's instructions:

1.  Factory Reset
  2. Changed PC IP Address to 192.168.2..12 and Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
  3. Attempted login to the factory-default address, http://192.168.2.10

My browser times out without connecting to the swtich.

Not sure what further steps to take as it should be fairly simple login.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!

Chalmers

12 REPLIES 12
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot Connect to Web Interface ProCurve Manager (PCM) on HP ProCurve 1810G-24 Switch J9450A

Howdy,

1) Do you get "link" or "activity" lights on the switch port and the ethernet port on the PC?

2) Is it a good cable have you used it before?

3) Open up a command shell on your PC and issue a "ping 192.168.2.10" command. Do you get a response from the switch?

4) Do you have another device that you can add to your new network and ping "through" the switch one device to another?

I think that the PCM software is external to the switch but that you can launch the switch management Web GUI from within PCM. Please bear in mind that PCM is no longer a current product and has been supceded by the IMC software suite.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Ian 

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
chalmers
Collector

Good morning Ian,

Thank you for your reply.

I forgot to mention I tested a few of the things you mentioned:

1. Yes, the swtich is working with all of the devices plugged into it (I just can't access the Web GUI to make the changes I need).
  2.  Yes, the cable is working and the LEDs light up
  3.  I have tried pinging the device after I change my PC's IP address to 192.168.2.12 per the manual. The response I get is  "Destination host unreachable"
  4.  However, the Ping statistics show Sent=4 Recieved=4 Lost =0

Do I need to remove all networks cables from other devices connected to the switch before I can connect with the Web GUI?

My goal is to access the Web GUI so that I can change the settings on the switch.

When I mentioned PCM, i thought that was the term for the Web GUI.

Is there an external software I can install to get access to the switch Web GUI?

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Chalmers

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OWjLH1Xsh_I

Howdy,

Might be time to use some good old network tools.

Firstly check out (search / read / download / install) xenmap the GUI version of nmap.

It is a network discovery ip address and port scanner

Secondly sooner or later you will need a copy if Wireshark (free just like nmap) to do some packet by packet analysis. Not as scary as it sounds. Loads of videos on YouTube:

Check out the one at the top of the post - tablet absolutely refuses to paste the link in the right place - regarding discovery of an unknown IP address even if it is in a completely different subnet

Thanks. Let us know how you get on - don't forget kudos and solved buttons to let others know.

Ian

## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Edam!
chalmers
Collector

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the tips.

I installed Nmap, and tried to ping the switch at the default IP as the traget after changing my PCs IP adderess per the manual.

Here's the report I got:

Starting Nmap 7.12 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2016-08-28 15:09 Pacific Daylight Time

NSE: Loaded 138 scripts for scanning.

NSE: Script Pre-scanning.

Initiating NSE at 15:09

Completed NSE at 15:09, 0.00s elapsed

Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 15:09

Scanning 192.168.2.10 [1 port]

Completed ARP Ping Scan at 15:09, 0.48s elapsed (1 total hosts)

Nmap scan report for 192.168.2.10 [host down]

mass_dns: warning: Unable to determine any DNS servers. Reverse DNS is disabled. Try using --system-dns or specify valid servers with --dns-servers

NSE: Script Post-scanning.

Read data files from: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap

Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -Pn

Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 3.13 seconds

Raw packets sent: 2 (56B) | Rcvd: 0 (0B)

I'm thinking that maybe the factory reset on switch didn't work, since the switch is working but I can't find the default IP.

Any thoughts?

Is there a trick for the farctory reset that might help to make sure it works?

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Chalmers

chalmers
Collector

Hi Ian,

I followed your tip and installed Wireshark.

When I ran the app, it looks like switch has an IP address of 192.168.1.140 (which is in the range of my router, so I guess that would explain why it is working for my setup.)

When I ping the 192.168.1.140 address it works with no packets lost.

When I tried to access the Web GUI for the swtich by going to 192.168.1.140 it says HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

It seems like I found the IP address of the swtich, but I still can't log into the Web GUI.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Chalmers

parnassus
Honored Contributor

If your Switch receives its Management IP Address through your Router's DHCP service that means that its default IP Address (which should have been 192.168.2.10, statically assigned by factory) was changed and its DHCP Client service was consequently enabled...thus is totally possible that who managed it before you then enabled the HTTPS (port 443) for Management concurrently disabling the usage of HTTP (port 80). Never say never.

So...did you checked (also) at https://192.168.1.140 ? Try also to open the same URL using differents Web Browsers.

To be sure that 192.168.1.140 is the IP Address assigned to you 1810 by your Router you must analyze its DHCP leases table which should contain MAC Addresses bindings (IP Address leased <--> MAC Address)...this in order to look for the 1810's MAC Address (which should be stamped somewhere on a chassis's label or which can be found looking at the output of the nmap command provided below) and its related leased IP Address (statically or dynamically assigned).

With nmap -sV -T4 -O -F --version-light 192.168.1.140 you should be able to understand target ports' statuses, their related states and services (so if you see something like Port: 443/tcp with Service: ssl/http that means that HTTPS is in use by your 1810).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Hmmm,

This is a bit of an odd one. The worst case scenario (fingers crossed that this isn't the case) is that the front panel buttons have been disabled (someone correct me if the 1810G is different and doesn't allow this) by the previous admin in a fit of security consiousness.

Did running the "factory reset" button press routine look like it was working - light blinking at the right time on the startup sequence. I can't find anything to suggest that the default behaviour has changed over the switches lifetime with firmware updates to make it dhcp for an address rather than use the stated static address.

As @parnassus says - use nmap to scan the available ports and services that the switch is offering up at the now known IP address and see if you can kick one of them into life. If the guy has disabled http he has probably done the same to the SNMP service but you never know.

There is another "nuclear" option when we exhaust all others but as it involves screwdrivers, motherboard to 9pin D-shell adapter and kissing goodbye to your warranty it's not something we'll rush towards.

Stepping back a little - what function do you need the switch to perform that is driving you towards accessing the management GUI? You have a working Layer 2 network (albeit only one VLAN) what is your vision of network utopia that you are driving towards?

Let us know how you get on. Don't forget to give "thumbs up" all round if we crack this one.

Cheers

Ian

Edam!
chalmers
Collector

Hi Ian,

Thank you (and parnassus!) for the feedback and tips!

I believe that the switch IP is not DHCP, but static because when I used a different router, it maintained the same IP address.

It is an awesome switch and now that I changed the IP address of the router I wanted to use within the range of the switch it's working perfectly.

So to answer you question, I'm pretty close to network utopia!

I guess the main reason I wanted to access the GUI at this point was so I could change some of the settings if they didnt fit my needs.

Right now, other than knowing the swtich's IP address I don't know anything else. Since I have never accessed the GUI I actually don't know if there is anything I would like to change.

At this point, since it's working I don't urgently need to crack it open. But my ultimate network utopia would be being able to access the GUI.

I've have a pretty basic setup.

Do you suspect there is anything I might change in the GUI if I can access it?

Basically, is it worth the trouble?

I'll keep you posted on my progess.

Thank you so much for helping me get it up and running!!!! The switch is awesome!

Cheers!

Warmest regards,

Chalmers

AJolly

You might be running into an issue where the Webinterface goes down after the switch has been up for a while.  I've got the same problem on my 1810-48.  Powercycle the switch then see if you can connect to it.  

In my case, the switch stops responding even to arp queries, but still passes traffic.