New Discussion

Configuration switch comme client DHCP

SOLVED
Go to solution
rthreis
Occasional Contributor

Configuration switch comme client DHCP

Bonjour à tous,

Je me tourne vers vous car je suis un peu perdu dans la configuration d'une série de switch acquise dernièrement.  Nous disposons de 6 switchs HPE 1950 flambant neuf, et je souhaite mettre en place tout cela de la manière la plus propre possible.

Quelle adresse MAC dois-je renseigner au serveur DHCP afin d'attribuer une IP de manière propre sur mon switch ?

J'ai essayé la MAC renseignée sur le chassis => ne marche pas

J'ai essayé la MAC renseignée lors d'un scan du réseau => ne marche pas

En vous remerciant d'avance pour l'aide qu'il vous sera possible de m'apporter.

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Configuration switch comme client DHCP

If a DHCP Server is available, the HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch obtains an IP Address automatically...have you tried to not use the MAC Address Binding (the valid one should be the MAC Address printed no the chassis label) on your DHCP Server to see if/what IP Address your DHCP Server is going to release to your 1950?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
rthreis
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.  I've already tried to use the chassis printed MAC as MAC address in the DHCP server, but the server seem not to find that particular MAC address when the request arrives.  The switch gets an IP address, but not the one I want him to get.

Do I need to use a specific port on the switch ?  I tried out the first one (port 1) and the last one (port 24), but I always get a free IP address from the range, but not the reserved one I want the switch to use.

Just for info, the DHCP server runs on Windows 2008 R2.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Pretty strange, this means that the 1950 is configured - as per default factory settings - to bring the IP Management address (on Default VLAN) from an available DHCP Server.

You wrote:

rthreis wrote: The switch gets an IP address, but not the one I want him to get.

So what's the MAC Address that appear requesting an IP Address dynamically offered by your DHCP Server?

The MAC Address binding on your DHCP Server is working for other DHCP reservations (for other hosts)? I ask just to be sure that the MAC Address binding setting on your DHCP Server is working correctly with any host in your LAN served segment.

I'm not an HPE Employee
rthreis
Occasional Contributor
Solution

OMG, I think I just found out.

When connecting the switch to the network, booting it, and after boot check out the DHCP server, I found out the MAC address given for the switch was an almost endless number (343062392e336339312e336165632d566c616e3X).

So, I just used that numbert as "MAC" address in the reservation on my Windows DHCP Server, and TADA, my switch gets the correct IP address.

I don't have any clue why the "Unique ID" as MS DHCP server calls it is such a long number, but it seems to work (for now). And strange the MAC address printed on the chassis label doesn't work.  Is Ms getting something wrong in the DHCP Request ?

And to answer your question about the MAC address binding with specific IP addresses on my server, it works for Windows PCs and Linux machines.

So, I suppose the case could be called "Solved"

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Really strange...Switch MAC Address has a typical 48-bit (12 digits or 6 bytes) Hexadecimal notation nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn on a IPv4 network...that very long alfanumeric string looks pretty strange to me.

I'm not an HPE Employee