5740 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Configuring QoS for VoIP on HP 1810-24G (j9803a) Procurve switches

aberty
Occasional Visitor

Configuring QoS for VoIP on HP 1810-24G (j9803a) Procurve switches

Hello,

I want configure QoS for VoIP on HP 1810-24 (j9803a) switch.

My computers are connected to the switch through the IP phones.

So how can I configure my switch to apply QoS only to the VoIP's VLAN (the data from the computers are in the default VLAN (1))   ? I don't understand because I can only apply the priority to a physicial port and not to one specific VLAN.

Thanks.

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProCurve / ProVision-Based to Web and Unmanaged. -HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Configuring QoS for VoIP on HP 1810-24G (j9803a) Procurve switches

You set the port priority in the switch port VLAN configuration - this is the QoS that will be assigned to untagged packets on that port.

Tagged packets will already have a priority configured on them by the phone itself.

aberty
Occasional Visitor

Ok. Let's say my pc+phone are connected to port 1 of switch 1 and my link between my HP switches is in port 24 of each switch.
I have to tag the vlan's voice on port 1 and let untagged the vlan 1 on this port (for computer) that's right ? And the priority I set up will be only assigned to my computer (untagged port) ?
And what I have to do to my link between my 2switches ?
Thanks a lot
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

OK, maybe it would be useful to know this:

802.1q is the ethernet standard for VLAN tagging. The 802.1q frame format contains both a VLAN ID *and* the 3-bit QoS class of service.

So, if you assign a VLAN to a port as a tagged VLAN, then frames in the VLAN will be passed with the class of service included.

So long as the phones are correctly configured to assign "5" to the voice packets, and so long as the voice VLAN is tagged everywhere it goes round the network, then the voice packets will be marked with the "5" wherever they go. You then have to trust that the default QoS config on each switch deals with packets marked "5" correctly.