5733 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Connect 2 x HPE OfficeConnect 1950 12XGT 4SFP+ switches together

SOLVED
Go to solution
James_H

Connect 2 x HPE OfficeConnect 1950 12XGT 4SFP+ switches together

I am looking to connect two of the OfficeConnect 1950 12XGT 4SFP+ switches together useing two of the SFP+ ports on each and am unsure of what the settings should be on those two ports.

Say I am going to use the SFP ports 15 and 16 on each and there is a need for the default VLAN and a VLAN 100 to pass through this connection. The VLAN 100 only includes IP phones that tag packets themselves.

Would the correct settings be - to set up an aggregation group on each switch using both of those ports in "Dynamic" mode? And then create a VLAN 100 and add that "Bagg" (aggregating group) to the untagged list?

Or do I add it to the Tagged list as I am wanting more than one VLAN to traverse the port? Default and 100

Thanks you

1 REPLY 1
Ivan_B
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Connect 2 x HPE OfficeConnect 1950 12XGT 4SFP+ switches together

Hi @James_H !

I'd definitely go with a dynamic BAGG aggregating both 15 and 16 ports on each device. The BAGG should carry the VLAN 1 (default VLAN) untagged and the VLAN 100 (and the rest VLANs in case you will need more VLANs in the future) as tagged.

Dynamic BAGG will use LACP which will take care of aggregation negotiation and will check for miswirings and/or one way communication issues that may lead to Layer 2 loops - this is the safest way to aggregate Ethernet ports. Using tagged VLANs on the BAGG will allow you to carry traffic from multiple VLANs over the BAGG.

Hope this helps!

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo