New Discussion юеВ

Connecting switches 2910al and 1950 over SFP+

SOLVED
Go to solution
deadpete
Advisor

Connecting switches 2910al and 1950 over SFP+

Hi folks,

My customer has got a couple of older ProCurve 2910al switches, both with 10GbE SFP+ modules (last firmware). I plan to upgrade their network and replace some even older switches with HPE 1950 switches. From the specs it seems possible to connect the 1950 series switches with other SFP+ enabled hardware directly, without investing in transcievers.

Is it possible to connect those different switches with a SFP+ DAC cable? And in that case, passive, or active?

Best regards,

Peter

2 REPLIES 2
Michal Dole├Е┬╛al
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: Connecting switches 2910al and 1950 over SFP+

Both switches are from different product lines and both are not sharing accesories. BUT

ex-Procurve - so 2910al is very strict on transceivers and DAC cables, so here you must use original

But Comware switches (1950 is Comware 7 switch with just webUI) have more freedom. This means, that you can try to interconnect those two with these cables: (try just one x 1m, cost small money)

HPE X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 1m Direct Attach Copper Cable J9281B

HPE X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable J9283B

HPE X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 7m Direct Attach Copper Cable J9285B

I am 90% sure that Comware cables JD095/JD096/JD097C will not work for 2910al.

But 100% sure you will be when you will use original transceivers with optics. I understand it is not cheap.

Don┬┤t forget to upgrade firmwares on both switches to the latest version.

Michal Dolezal, DiS.
System engineer
AVE BOHEMIA, s.r.o.
deadpete
Advisor

Re: Connecting switches 2910al and 1950 over SFP+

Thanks for your advice Michal!

I had a slight hope that cable connection could work. Experimenting takes time, and the DAC cables are not cheap either.

I'll stick to connecting the switches with x132 optical transcievers. The cost will not kill my customer, but it's always nice if you could save a buck, or two. The 2910al switches have already got the latest firmware, as each one has got a 10Gb uplink to the main switch since day one.

Best regards,

Peter