6147 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Constant moderate CPU usage on HPE 1950 24G 2SFP+ 2XGT PoE+ Switch

Xaurus
Occasional Visitor

Constant moderate CPU usage on HPE 1950 24G 2SFP+ 2XGT PoE+ Switch

Hello,

First post here apologies if it's in the wrong forum, it says it's running HPE Comware Platform Software, Software Version 7.1.045.

I have a HPE 1950 24G Switch that I am experiencing a constant CPU load around 15%. I checked the processes in the cli and there is one process constant around 9% called [PSED].

56     56  9.1  0.0   D  115   N        -  00:13:12 [PSED]

The overall cpu usage looks like this:

Slot 1 CPU 0 CPU usage:
15% in last 5 seconds
17% in last 1 minute
16% in last 5 minutes

So does anyone know what this process does and why it is constantly using about 1/10 of the processing power even when the Switch is doing nothing?

I recently upgraded to the latest firmware 1950_7.10.R3116P05 from 1950_7.10.R3116 (from here: https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/Downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JG962A) but this didn't change anything, it is still the same behavior.

Thanks for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Xaurus,

Just as an FYI, the 7.1.045 is not the important version number.  That only tells me that you are running Comware 7.  The important number is after the letter... R3116P05 tells me you are running released code version 3116 with Patch 5.  There can be different letters but the letter and the following numbers are important.

Anything you see in the display that is bracketed with [ ] are operating system programs.  That said, 15% is not a lot and I wouldn't be concerned about it.  I would only be concerned about CPU usage higher than about 60 - 70% continuous.  Then there are other things to look at.

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Your Switch is not doing exactly nothing...is it a PoE model, isn't?

So maybe, just a guess here (due to fact that PSED acronym resembles something like PSE Deamon in my head), the PSED Task would be the deamon which is supervising the PSE PoE status (issue a display poe pse command to see PoE PSE health info)...so...it would totally make sense to see it draining some (<10%) of the total CPU capacity even if the Switch is not currently doing switching.

Just curious: which specific PoE Firmware version is your JG962A Switch running now? 145 or what?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Xaurus
Occasional Visitor

@parnassus

Amazing, why didn't I think of that. You are absolutely right, when I wrote my post I meant the switch was doing absolutely [no switching], an AP was still connected with PoE. And the name of the process [PSED] could easily be related to something with "Power...".

I did the command <display poe pse> and this is what it said:

PSE ID                           : 4
 Slot No.                         : 1
 SSlot No.                        : 0
 PSE Model                        : LSP7POED
 PSE Status                       : Enabled
 Power Priority                   : Low
 Current Power                    : 3.6      W
 Average Power                    : 3.6      W
 Peak Power                       : 5.2      W
 Max Power                        : 370.0    W
 Remaining Guaranteed Power       : 310.0    W
 PSE CPLD Version                 : -
 PSE Software Version             : 145
 PSE Hardware Version             : 57633
 Legacy PD Detection              : Disabled
 Power Utilization Threshold      : 80
 PD Power Policy                  : Disabled
 PD Disconnect-Detection Mode     : DC

So it seems it's version 145, I will check if that is the latest one or not.

Thanks again.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

AFAIK the 145 is the latest PSE Firmware HPE released. Good your switch is not using an older version (143 or even older).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner