1751977 Members
4519 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Difficulty passing VLAN traffic on a OfficeConnect 1920S (JL386A) switch

EMTSU
Occasional Collector

Difficulty passing VLAN traffic on a OfficeConnect 1920S (JL386A) switch

I am new to HPE kit and am not an advanced user, so please bear with me. I will try and set out the situation as clearly as possible.

I have not been able to get femtocells to work when connected via a 1920S (in layer 2 mode). Somehow it is not allowing, in and/or out, some of the femtocell traffic. Packet capture on the directly attached firewall (a SonicWALL) shows DNS and NTP traffic to and from the devices, but the key traffic elements (e.g. 4500 (UDP) aren't getting through i.e. no sign of them on the SonicWALL as dropped packets or otherwise. The workaround has been to use a standalone 8 port switch and connect that directly to the firewall (with VLAN config. removed on the port) . One difference between these 2 very unequal switches is the 8 port device has the ability to remove ports from VLAN config. altogether i.e. not untagged, simply not a member, which I didn't think was possible on a switch supporting VLANs. The switch has 802.1q VLAN turned off, but port based VLANs on, but with no members as mentioned, so I assume it's simply acting as a 'dumb' switch. So frustrating to be honest, that a simple £25 switch can handle this so easily, but not a £700 monster. 

Does anyone have any wise words or thoughts, or has encountered this type of problem before?

2 REPLIES 2
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Hello!

I could not understand your need very well, to facilitate, post your network design and Vlan information.

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

There are only 2 formats for an ethernet frame: with tagging or without.

"VLAN config removed" = no VLAN tagging, which is the same configuration as an untagged port on your 1920.

Compare the 2 switch configs to see what is different in your configuration of them and you should have your answer.