5035 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Fiber between two V1910 switches

kentiler
Occasional Contributor

Fiber between two V1910 switches

Hi,

We need to connect two V1910 switches together with fiber.   An electrician is runnign the fiber, and I need to know what type of termination needs to be on the fiber.

I was told by HP that we shoudl use a HP JD118B SFP (mini- GBIC) - 1 x 1000Base-SX on each switch for the fiber.  I couldn't find details as to wether this will use 2 fiber connections or does it run on one?

Can someone describe what specifically we need to tell the electrician, and then is it simply plug the fiber in and they start talking to each other, or is there configuration that will need to happen?

Thank you!

--Kent

7 REPLIES 7
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

How the fiber is terminated in the ODF (SC or LC connector) doesnt really matter, you'll most certainly use a patch cable between the ODF and the switch anyhow. The V1910 will accomodate SFPs which have a LC connection.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

You can get special -BX transceivers that multiplex over one fibre but 99% of connections use two fibres.

kentiler
Occasional Contributor

THe JD118B says it's an 1000-SX;  I can't find anything that states that it's SC or LC.  WIll 2 fiber patch cables be needed at each switch?

Thanks!

--Kent

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

The JD118B, also called X120, is a SFP which in 99% of the cases means its LC. Its also in the product name: http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/10250492

A patch cable consists of a pair of fibers, so you'll need one patch cable per switch.

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Check that the description for the patch cable says 'duplex', indicating a pair of fibres. Most will be like that.

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Yeah ofcourse, there are single strand fiber patches.. but in my experience that has to be specified, so a regular "patch" is most likely duplex. But do double check to be absolutely sure ;)

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Abderrazak
Occasional Advisor

Hello ;

I need help on HP 2910.   SFP tranciever has connected on the port 22s phisiqualy show LED flush read is ???

there are two switch HP2620 and HP2910 the two connected bettwen by cable FO LC-LC .

ping not pass from SW2910 and 2610 ...  any help ???