Web and Unmanaged
1753947 Members
7414 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Getting V1910-24G to see the internet...

unexpectedly
Occasional Visitor

Getting V1910-24G to see the internet...

I got the V1910-24G and hooked it up like the Dell 2716 Pwer Connect it is to replace and ... it doesn't work. 

Are there any "simple" guides to make this work as the central switch for an office LAN? I've got a firewall between my Dell switch and our ISP. 

I've spent more than a few hours on reading the 565 page manual and am left with more questions than before I started. 

I have historically had the gateway as a peer to the other switch ports, with everything on the same subnet. Does the ProCurve want me to make the port with the firewall an "interface" with its own VLAN -- and thus putting the switch between the firewall/router and the LAN?

Then I read that I should make the Firewall's internal IP a different subnet and configure this port on the switch with Source & Dest 0.0.0.0.

I have spent more time on this than its perceived value could get my business... I need simple clear steps (with implied substeps) to get this thing going. My current exact network configuration is as pictured. As aforementioned, my intent is to remove the Dell and put the ProCurve in its place...

Thanks for any help or guidance,

Chris

P.S. This thread has been moved from Comware-Based to Web and Unmanaged. -HP Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Getting V1910-24G to see the internet...

The Comware boxes are cheap and have a lot of features thrown in but the documentation isn't up to the standard of the Procurves, in my opinion. So, you get routing even on a low end box like the V1910, even if you don't want it.

However, for a small network, I don't see why running it in a factory default configuration would be a problem.*  The only slightly odd feature is that the management IP address is fixed as on the sticker, so if you want to do the initial setup via the web, you probably have to add a virtual interface on your management PC.

Otherwise, it's hard to think what the problem is exactly. If you plug things into two ports, the links come up and packets are forwarded?

unexpectedly
Occasional Visitor

Yeah, the sticker was probably for port 1 but I got in and set its IP quite simply. 

This won't let me see the internet. Once I connected the firewall and my linux server, this proved to not work. Everything else I plug these two other boxes in works. To be blunt, once it didn't let me see the internet (where my business's money comes from) I didn't bother to see or care if it routes internally since my 6+ year old Dell 2716 does that just fine. I was hoping something "smart" might improve performance.

Since we're not trying to make money tomorrow, I'll give it another go. Pretty much wasted 2x what this thing cost trying to just get it to work. :P I read lots of reviews of competeing products that "plug in and work". This one doesn't. So I'm wondering what it takes to get my Debian server to ping 8.8.8.8. 

I can configure everything around it to any spec needed... static, dhcp, doesn't matter. Heck, I've even got my Win7 boxes able to sacrifice chickens. This switch isn't having it...

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Very odd. I would guess that the firewall is dropping packets for some reason. If you can be bothered to do further troubleshooting, I would start by looking at the logs on that. I would guess something is hitting a deny rule somewhere; can't think what, but it seems the least unlikely explanation.

unexpectedly
Occasional Visitor

It needed to have the initialize command run on the serial port.

I had also done a software upgrade but that didn't help before the initialize.

Thanks,

Chris