6703 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 1810-24G cannot ping to another HP 1810-24G through Microwave link

syaqir
Occasional Visitor

HP 1810-24G cannot ping to another HP 1810-24G through Microwave link

Hello,

I have installed a microwave link between two sites, both are Fibre connected to HP 1810-24G. I used only default vlan; only one trunk in 'static' (port 23 & 24). They are all using same network. The contractor claims that their 1+1 microwave link is up, but i cannot ping from switch A to switch B. I also cannot ping from switch A to the local microwave radio (main & standby). 

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Were you aware that Port Trunking (no matter if configured with LACP - IEEE 802.3ad - or with Trunk - non protocol - as the links aggregation mode) does not support (and does not admit) a deployment through an intermediate, non-trunking device(s) such as an hub (or as two Microwave gateways, as in your case) or using more than one media type in a port trunk group?

I feel that you Microwave link is not enough "transparent" to be supported by a Port Trunking (IEEE 802.3ad LACP or Non Protocol Trunk).

Curiosity: why then you have 4 IP Addresses allocated on your two Microwave gateways (the .211 and .212 or the .209 and .210)?

I bet that if you do not use Port Trunking but, instead, use only a single link (Port Type set of Type Trunk, not Hybrid or Access), let's say Port 24 on both ends, against each of your Microwave gateways [*]...the ping will start working.

[*] Supposing you have just one Microwave gateway per end (and, possibly, not two...).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

" I also cannot ping from switch A to the local microwave radio (main & standby)."

You need to solve that issue before you even think about testing the microwave link.

Check your switch configs, VLAN port assignment and tagging and IP addressing.

Do not try connecting both Active and Standby at the same time - you'll just end up with trying to troubleshoot multiple things at once.
Just connect your "Active" link at both ends and get that working forst.

When you have established connectivity, *then* ensure you have STP enabled and make the "Standby" path live and see what happens - look at interface stats and your syslog to make sure you know what's going on.
Unlike Parnassus, I don't see why you can't use the HP "trunk" method of link aggregation, however, the switches you are using aren't Procurve switches, so I don't know if they have anything like the Procurve "trunk" which I am pretty sure I have used in the path to aggregate multiple radio paths.
Also, like Parnassus, I'm not sure what the IP addressing on the radio means for you, I don't think I've ever used IP-addressable equipment in this context, so I'm not sure what it means in terms of spanning-tree and link-aggregation.