4956 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

HP 1810

aLPHa_NRG
Occasional Visitor

HP 1810

Hello,

I consider myself as a power user or at least not the average home user. I have my own 19" patch panel and I am looking for a high level switch to expand this rack. (at least higher level than the current switch/ router) The switch will be my main lan switch for my NAS and media center and all laptops, tablets and telephones that will be connected to it. (6 people maximum) Although the switch will be placed in a separate room (basement), it is recommended the switch does not make too much noise.

The switch should meet these requirements:

- Very fast (it should at least be capable to stream HD content (Blu-ray and in the future stream 4K if possible not required though)).

- Be as silent as possible.

Then I found these switches on your website and I consider purchasing one of two:

HP 1810-8G v2 Switch (J9802A)
HP 1810-24G v2 Switch (J9803A)

I have some questions about it.

- Does the switch support IPV6?

- What is the MTBF of the switch?
- The device seems to be fanless are all models fanless?
- In case I forget my password can I reset the switch with a button?
- I found the switch supports trunking which trunking methods are supported?

- Will it be fast enough to play HD content at least 40 Mbps or 50 Mbps?

- Does the switch share port capacity or do all ports support 1 Gbit at the same time? Are there any other performance limitations?

- What is the practical limitation of the switch performance per port? (excl. overhead)

- Which CPU make/ model is used throughout all models? Is this the same CPU or is it different? Do you have specs on the CPU?

- In case the CPU is the same, is there a performance difference between the 8 port or 24 port?

- If there is any other alternative from HP that would better suit my needs what switch would it be?

Lately I also found these models on your website, but I can't figure out what the difference is between the other two switches.

HP PS1810-8G Switch (J9833A) vs. HP 1810-8G v2 Switch (J9802A)

HP PS1810-24G Switch (J9834A) vs. HP 1810-24G v2 Switch (J9803A)

Thanks in advance for answering my questions,

Joris

1 REPLY 1
realex

Re: HP 1810

I recently got one for home and hopefully i can help you...

- Does the switch support IPV6?

No

- The device seems to be fanless are all models fanless?

This one is fanless
- In case I forget my password can I reset the switch with a button?

Yes, there is separate button for resetting password without touching configs.
- I found the switch supports trunking which trunking methods are supported?

Static, LACP active/passive.

- Will it be fast enough to play HD content at least 40 Mbps or 50 Mbps?

Depending on how many streams you want :)

- Does the switch share port capacity or do all ports support 1 Gbit at the same time? Are there any other performance limitations?

Haven't found any limits when testing several iperf instances. All ports was connected at 1Gbit. But this needs to be tested with proper testing tools...

- Which CPU make/ model is used throughout all models? Is this the same CPU or is it different? Do you have specs on the CPU?

From what i know it uses HP eCOS 3.0 RTOS, this information can be read from snmp.

>Lately I also found these models on your website, but I can't figure out what the difference is between the other two switches.
>HP PS1810-8G Switch (J9833A) vs. HP 1810-8G v2 Switch (J9802A)
>HP PS1810-24G Switch (J9834A) vs. HP 1810-24G v2 Switch (J9803A)

About PS models: "Key feature is the auto-discovery and monitoring of HP Proliant Servers." Gen8 only, AFAIK.
Also 8-port PS model can be mounted on top of (new) HP MicroServer.