1753705 Members
4838 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 1820-24G Switch J9980A - No gigabit ports

JaCook
Occasional Visitor

HP 1820-24G Switch J9980A - No gigabit ports

Hi, im hoping im doing something stupid here. I have two new 1820-24G switches but all ports only come up as 100Mbps when plugging in laptop with a gigabit port. When I look in port configuration there is also no option for 1000Mbps

I've added a screenshot as an attachment

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have one of these switches in front of me but let's see what we can do. If you connect that PC to another switch with the same cable, does it link at gig? You might try a different cable as the gig speeds require all 4 pair in a cable and 10 & 100Mb only use 2 pair. Also, cable termination can affect the link speed. Basically if it isn't terminated well or isn't at least cat 5 cable, it may not link at gig.

The gig standard only allows for auto negotiation which may be the reason that it isn't listed as an option for you. 

You might try updating the software in the case that there is a bug.

JaCook
Occasional Visitor

Hi Eric, thank you for getting back to me. I have tried two laptops and two factory made CAT5e cables

The strange thing is that 1000Mbps isn't even an option in the switch web interface when manually configuring the speed rather than leaving it to auto detect (as per the screenshot)

Im more experienced with Cisco than HP so thought I was missing something simple but it even says 10/100/1000 on the front of the switch, all the specs indicate it should have 24 x G ports plus two uplinks for SFP's

I did find a website indicating I was on the latest firmware but will look again, the HP website is proving a challenge to navigate!

Thanks for the advice so far

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

As Eric says, it's normal for there not to be an option to force 1000BASE-T operation, since autonegotiation is required for it to work properly. There are some extended parameters that the low-level engine needs, so the best that you can do is autonegotiate "1000BASE-T or nothing".  You might find other switch vendors having that as an option but chances are that if it says it's running at fixed 1000BASE-T it's lying. This is for 1000BASE-T only, not for the SFPs.

I might try something else other than a laptop, like seeing if you can get an uplink to another switch working at 1Gbps -in case it's something stupid like won't do Gig when running off battery. Or, being *really careful* not to cause a broadcast storm, does it negotaite Gig with itself on a loopback cable.

JaCook
Occasional Visitor

Thank you, sorry Eric I didn't quite absorb the fact that the gig standard only allows for auto. I will try the suggestions Richard, it's not in production yet so I can afford to do some testing. The reason I was trying to use fixed was the delay in auto negotiating. When on Auto negotiate and connecting this switch to a HP laptop it takes 20-25 seconds for the port to come up, when I connect it to my dell laptop it comes up in about 4. If i manually set the port to 100 full duplex it comes up right away

The issue with such a delay is none of the domain group policies load at computer startup

TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Check if Spanning Tree is enabled on the switches. Ports will take some time to come up if STP is enabled and the ports have not been defined as edge ports.