Web and Unmanaged
1752815 Members
5897 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP-1910-24G - 2x 4-port link aggregation possible?

herb72
Occasional Visitor

HP-1910-24G - 2x 4-port link aggregation possible?

Hi everybody!

We have 13 workstations and two servers. All computers should be connected via Gbit cable to the switch.

Each of the two servers should be connected with link aggregation (4 ports) to obtain four times Gbit speed between the servers.

Is this possible with this switch?

Thanks for any advice!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum)  to Web and Unmanaged. -HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

"Each of the two servers should be connected with link aggregation (4 ports) to obtain four times Gbit speed between the servers."

Do you really mean "between the servers"? Because that almost certainly won't happen.

If you need the servers to communicate at >1Gb, either,

- buy a switch with 10Gb ports.

or

- buy a switch that does L4 LACP traffic distribution, like a 3800, although this may or may not work, depending on what your servers are saying to each other.

Either way, you should aim a little higher than a 1910. Maybe a 2530 with SFP+ ports? SR SFP+ transceivers last time I bought them cost me $130 each. 

herb72
Occasional Visitor

Hi!

The second server is only a backup of the first server. But we have a lot of data. Overnight, a lot of data must be copied.

Is it with this switch even possible 2 groups of 4 ports to be configured with LACP?

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can link aggregate multiple ports into multiple groups.

The issue is whether 1Gb links are big enough for your "lot of data".

I would suspect not.

You should buy a switch with 10Gb links.

From memory, you could buy a 2910, which can have modules added giving it 4x 10Gb ports.