Web and Unmanaged
1753675 Members
5184 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

HP 1910-8 : How to "undo password-recovery enable" in order to do factory reset

stvkellogg

HP 1910-8 : How to "undo password-recovery enable" in order to do factory reset

I have purchased an HP 1910-8 gigabit switch that apparently had been configured previously because the default password does not work.  

I can establish a console connection but when I get to the option to reset to factory specifications I get the  message that I must use the "undo password-recovery enable" command in the CLI.  I can't figure out what the syntax for that  command is.

I've read that I should be able to get to the extended boot menu by pressing Ctrl+B within 1 second of system startup to get to a boot menu with a "Modify BootROM Password"  setting (choice #5) to turn off password-recovery and allow me then to use the factory reset option.  I can't for the life of me get that menu to come up - I go directly to a menu with different options (including the factory reset that it won't let me execute).

If anyone has a suggestion as to how I can either use the CLI to disable password recovery or get to the boot menu with "Modify BootROM Password" option (or force a factory reset) I would be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. This thread has been moved from  Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged. -HP Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
3comold
Advisor

Re: HP 1910-8 : How to "undo password-recovery enable" in order to do factory reset

1 second is when the switch is starting in "fast mode"; in "full mode" that's 5 seconds.

If you are getting undo password-recovery enable message, then that's is believed to be option 8 in boot menu Set BootRom password recovery which shall gives you the option to choose Enable or Disable

Try to resolve using the procedure to enter in BOOT MENU : that's is CTRL+B within 1 or 5 seconds from the moment you see the message Press CTRL-B to enter into extended boot menu

regards