New Discussion

Re: HP 1910 Intervlan Routing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phophus
Established Member

HP 1910 Intervlan Routing

Hi All

Sorry I am new to HP Switch and need some help with the configuration.

I am trying to configure a HP 1910-24G JE006A - 3L Switch for testing purposes. It is out of network and I have configured the VLAN + VLAN Interface + Ports (Untagged & Hybrid).

I want the VLAN's to communicate with each other.

VLAN 1 - Management - 192.168.37.0/24

Interface - 192.168.37.221

VLAN 10 - Servers - 192.168.57.0/24

Interface - 192.168.57.221

VLAN 20 - Machines - 192.168.87.0/24

Interface - 192.168.87.221

I am able to ping the VLAN Interfaces 1,10,20 from VLAN 1 but not vice versa.

Ports 1-28 are untagged for VLAN 1,10,20 with hybrid configuration.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. This thread has been moved from roCurve / ProVision-Based toWeb and Unmanaged. - Hp Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Please describe your testing in more detail: what device, what IP address, what switchport, for source and destination.

Phophus
Established Member

The end device is a laptop.

When I changethe laptop IP as 192.168.37.1, I can ping 192.168.37.221; 192.168.57.221 and 192.168.87.221.

But when i change the laptop IP to192.168.57.1 or to 192.168.87.1, I cannot ping any of the interfaces.

The laptop is connected to port 1 of the switch.

The management Vlan IP is 192.168.37.221 (switch IP).

Other Vlan IP's are 192.168.57.221 and 192.168.97.221 (Interface IP).

All Ports are untagged for Vlan 1,10 and 20.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I think that last bit is the bit I don't understand - how can a port be "untagged" in more than one VLAN?

Reconfigure port 1 as untagged in just one VLAN at a time to test each network. Or use different switchports, each of them in a single "untagged" VLAN.

I really don't understand what the "hybrid" trunk ports are all about - your ports should be either "Access" (with one "untagged" VLAN and no "tagged" VLANs) or "Trunk" (with one or more "Tagged" VLANs and up to one "untagged" VLAN).

I assume there is a special use case for "hybrid", but I doubt there are many such use cases.

Maybe somebody can provide an example of where "hybrid" can be used.

Phophus
Established Member

Hi Vince

According to hp site

ProCurve Switches - Port Link Types

Information

Types of Port link.

Details

The user can configure the link type of a port as access, trunk, or hybrid. The three link types use different VLAN tag handling methods:

• An access port belongs to only one VLAN and sends traffic untagged. It is typically used to connect a terminal device unable to recognize VLAN tagged-packets or when there is no need to separate different VLAN members.

• A trunk port can carry multiple VLANs to receive and send traffic for them. Except traffic of the default VLAN, traffic sent through a trunk port will be VLAN tagged. Usually, ports connecting network devices are configured as trunk ports.

• Like a trunk port, a hybrid port can carry multiple VLANs to receive and send traffic for them. Unlike a trunk port, a hybrid port allows traffic of all VLANs to pass through VLAN untagged. One can configure a port connected to a network device or user terminal as a hybrid port.

This is why it is confusing for me as well.

If someone can advise what am i doing wrong here.

I will configure each port for a seperate vlan and see if they can ping.

Phophus
Established Member
Solution

Hi Guys

I managed to resolve the issue.

The ports need to be configured as hybrid  for intervlan routing but the catch is with the PVID.

The PVID determines which IP can be assigned to the port itself.

Thanks very much.

Orphan

Hi,

I have the same problem.  Could you share your switch config ?

Best Regards