New Discussion

Re: HP 1920G Switch_Receive Utilization 100%

SOLVED
Go to solution
ekatyyy
Occasional Advisor

HP 1920G Switch_Receive Utilization 100%

Hi all,

i'm using HP 1920G Switch where my PC connected with.

Actually i need to provide some measurement using Ethernet over FPGA (Programmable Hardware) - HP Switch - MyPC on 1Gbps Speed. FPGA just send with this rate over TCP/IP Stack huge amount of data. And this data don't rich the waiting Socket on My PC.

When i go to HP Web Management Platform > Device > Flow Interval in the column Receive Utilization i got ( in some sekonds) 100%

When i use another switch, all works fine : i get the sending flow on PC and Wireshark.

Can somebody explain me how to handle this problem? I assume that HP Switch recognize my data as Attack, but it is not.

Any help will be appreciate

Tnx Kate

10 REPLIES 10
16again
Respected Contributor

Does this FPGA have a normal TCP/IP stack (pingable, uses ARP etc) ?

Do you have wireshark capture of few packets to see what they should look like?

ekatyyy
Occasional Advisor

Re: itcHP 1920G Swh_Receive Utilization 100%

Hi 16again,

1. Yes, i can ping FPGA from PC, i also can see via Wireshark how FPGA send/reply on ARP request - this is not a problem.

2. In Wireshark i can observe a full sending flow [ with TCP option i got back ACK ans SYN numbers], all the packets are Ok - the data are the same what i've programmed

But all this doesn't work with   HP 1920G Switch :(

Do you have some idea?

16again
Respected Contributor

Re: itcHP 1920G Swh_Receive Utilization 100%

In switch web gui, does the log reveal anything? And do interface counters indicate in/outgoing traffic or errors? Does FPGA MAC address show up in switch MAC table?

Also, is the FPGA pingable when using 1920 switch? 

FPGA: did you make your own ethernet and IP stack in this FPGA? (Impressive!) 
Or does the FPGA just controls a standard ethernet controller IC? Anyway, maybe something like timing is slightly off-standard generating issues like this one.

ekatyyy
Occasional Advisor

Hi 16again,

hier i attached some screenshots, where you can found the info you have asked about, like:

- In switch web gui, does the log reveal anything - hier i can't answer anything, because i don't really understand what log file should reveal - anyway i attached it too - HP_logfile.log

- is the FPGA pingable when using 1920 switch - No. -  Wireshark+Ping.png

- do interface counters indicate in/outgoing traffic or errors - No Errors, just encreasing of Octets/InUcastPkts/InNUcastPkts counters - HP_Interface_statistics.png

- Does FPGA MAC address show up in switch MAC table - under settings Network>MAC i didn't found the MAC_Address of FPGA Board (only PC), but in ARP Table it exists - HP_MAC_Address_Board.png

- on FPGA works a whole TCP/IP Stack (not mine, but anyway): from TCP/UDP Level till GMII Interface +ARP+PING

- maybe something like timing is slightly off-standard generating issues like this one - sorry, but can you a little bit verbose explaine what did you mean??? i'm not confident, that i got it

Tnx!!!

16again
Respected Contributor

Wireshark+Ping.png  :  Destination unreachable tells me, ARP doesn't work,.

HP_MAC_Address_Board.png  shows the switch ARP table, not the MAC table.  (why did you add static ARP entry for FPGA?)
Can you make MAC table screenshot?

HP_logfile.txt seems ok for gi1/0/5

ekatyyy
Occasional Advisor

Wireshark+Ping.png  :  Destination unreachable tells me, ARP doesn't work --- ARP works, i proof it with ChipScope Analyzer, FPGA Board sends ARP request (Who is) and don't get reply, thats why it seems do not to work. (But in case above all works fine)

why did you add static ARP entry for FPGA? --- i didn't do it, it was already so. All i've done - screenshots

HP_MAC_TABLE.png --- i hope this time made right  sreen

16again
Respected Contributor
Solution

The MAC table doesn't show the FPGA address on port 1/0/5 !   Was FPGA connected and sending packets when creating screenshot?

Try altering the MAC address, maybe addresses started with 010203 are somehow reserved.
Or something (pulse width, levels timing framing... whatever) is outside ethernetspecs, so switch recognize traffic as acceptable

ekatyyy
Occasional Advisor

Today i made some changes:

- MAC Address is no more 010203..., MAC = x"8D8A A6DE 4229"; but it did not reflect in MAC Table, should it be in this Table, if it is connected directly with HP???

- I attache FPGA Board directly to Port 15 of HP Switsch, and PC hangs (over rest of Firm Network) on Port 05: HP_Port05_Port15.png

- while starting to send the Datas from FPGA to PC in Interface Statistic i got many InErrors: HP_Port15_InErrors.png

How can i actually add a new MAC to a MAC Table??? All others records in this table were added manualy

16again
Respected Contributor

Entries in MAC<->Port table shouldn't be entered manual.  By design, when the switch receives a valid ethernet packet on an interface, the switch will automatically populate the source MAC address in the table .

Seems like the switch just doesn't "understand" ethernet frames sent by FPGA.