4187 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 1920S and snmp community

pnobels
Contributor

HP 1920S and snmp community

Hi,

i'm currently testing a HP 1920S switch and snmp.  Firmware PD.01.07.  I'm using Paessler SNMP tester 5.2.3.

When using the default snmp on the switch (private, public) i can query for example the uptime.  If i however add an extra community with a random name (let's say testro) i can no longer query the switch (i'm getting no response).  The community entry would then be :

community : testro

security : testro

Groupname : defaultread

IP Address : 0.0.0.0.  

Is this expected behaviour?

9 REPLIES 9
pnobels
Contributor

Ah, i noticed i posted this in the wrong community.  Apologies. 

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

@pnobels:   i posted this in the wrong community.

Looks like the right one now.

johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Try changing the security to "public."

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
Juan87

Hi community:

I have the same problem with all our 1920S switchs. (in our 1920, snmp works perfectly)

I try to delete the public (the only one working) and when i try to recreate it, it does not work anymore.

Software version: PD.02.05

Any possible solution? i checked the manual, but is not very helpful for troubleshooting this problem.

Thanks and have a good day.

sshultis
Occasional Visitor

I came upon the same issue and found that the default "public" community can have the IP of 0.0.0.0 but if you delete it and recreate it, or call it something else (as our security team requires), you need to put the IP of your SNMP monitor or whatever is reading, to make it work. 

It took a bit of experimenting to get there, and the manual is pretty much useless in resolving it.  In my opinion, if you reconfigure something just like it was, it should work the same way that it did.  

ArneBrucker
Visitor

Does anybody get an response from HP about this issue? I think it has to be a programing failiure and has to be corrected. We are unable to use SNMP request for different monitoring systems without having the same Security credential - and this is not possible until you have to add the host IP adress and if you are not allowed to use the same credentials more than once!

Mer00000001

Hi,

Did you try to change your ip adress to your snmp monitor and then change your SNMP View entry to be allowed to modify/read your MIB .

http://10.150.0.130/htdocs/lang/en_us/help/base/help_snmp_view_entry.lsp

http://10.150.0.130/htdocs/lang/en_us/help/base/help_snmp_community.lsp

SSergey
Occasional Advisor

josekym
Occasional Visitor

Hello guys,

I have encountered the same issue, but solved it this way:

1) Go to SNMP and click "Add Community Group" and create the default private and public groups.

2) Save config and reboot switch.

3) In my case, I had to delete and re-create the Cacti entry for my switch before it picked up the SNMP again.

Tested on PD2.12 and PD2.14.