4575 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 1920s - VLAN Assignment by RADIUS

Anonymous
Not applicable

HP 1920s - VLAN Assignment by RADIUS

Hi,

I'm currently trying to configure a 1920S switch and I'm stuck with the VLAN assignment.

Scenario: A Lenovo Thinkpad Dock connected to a HP 1920S which in turn is linked to an upstream switch with a trunked connection. The docking station passes the MAC address of the connected laptop. Depending on the connected device the port should be assigned to either VLAN 10 or 30.

Configuration: The port is untagged assigned to VLAN 1 and tagged to 10 and 30. In Port Control the control mode is set to "MAC based" and the checkbox "MAC authentication mode" is set.

Current situation: The MAC address is detected and authentication with the radius server is successful. The client is listed both on the "Client Summary" and the "History Log Summary" with the correct VLAN, however packages are only transmitted if I set the VLAN ID on the laptop to 10 (client tagging). This is however not usable since the laptop will also be connected to non VLAN/802.1x aware networks.

What I've tried: If I disable MAC authentication and switch to port authentication via 802.1x the untagged VLAN of the port is correctly configured to the assigned VLAN and everything works fine.

I'm aware that the 1920S is not capable of running different MAC adresses on one port with different VLANs (which I don't need since there will only be one device per port), however I assumed that the VLAN of the first authenticated device is configured as the untagged VLAN of the port. Basically I need port authorization based on the MAC adress.

Any help is appreciated. If needed I will supply further information on the configuration.

Kind Regards
Alex

2 REPLIES 2
network_king
HPE Pro

Re: HP 1920s - VLAN Assignment by RADIUS

As this issue is at implementation stage would suggest to contact hpe pre-sales to involve solution architect. 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

network_king
HPE Pro

Re: HP 1920s - VLAN Assignment by RADIUS

You may also refer configuration guide for supported features.

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04463799-4.pdf

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo